Technical 500 DRL upgrade

Currently reading:
Technical 500 DRL upgrade

Headlights are a different proposition and fitting bulbs of a type different to those for which the headlamp unit is designed is both testable and a specific fail.

So I've debated whether to add,
however here goes, I've "illegally" converted my appauling Mazda Halogen head lights to HID, I took photos of the beam pattern against the white garage door and placed masking tape on the garage door to show the cut off point which is very defined.
Have to say the difference is like night and day, the light pattern to the best of appearence is the same as is the cut off when comparing the pictures and tape on the door, it "should" be the same, the capsule and filament are in exactly the same position ?

The MOT tester couldn't tell they had been converted only when I asked him and let know after it passed, he said they pass because;
They could not be, "seen to have been converted" ( the ballast and external wiring is not visible)
The light pattern complies with the MOT spec
Headlamp washers are only required to work "where fitted"
There is a presumption that if the look different that "legal brighter bulbs" have been fitted as they are not allowed to remove covers etc.
The car has passed several MOT's since
The car, spec dependant originally came with either Halogen or HID as standard,

Note I do not suggest others follow my route as its not legal

JR remove post if need be?

Last edited:
I guess its all about the beam pattern with headlights.

That's only part of it, albeit an important part. Having bulbs of a type for which the headlamp unit was not designed is a specific major defect and hence a fail.

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    13.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
JR remove post if need be?

Not at all; we're mods, not traffic police, and it's feedback on what happens in the real world.

I won't condone anything illegal, but my view is that we're all grown up enough to decide for ourselves about whether we are going to comply with the strict letter of the regulations.

The MOT rules quite clearly say that headlamps must be inspected for unapproved HID conversions and failed if found. That said, as with all MOT inspection items, the tester is not allowed to dismantle anything and must give the benefit of any doubt if there is any uncertainty.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    10 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Wiring is for sure different, since the Halo LED rings replace the side light (the 5W filament that´s currently in the twin 21/5W bulb). The design is a bit stupid anyway. Instead of using the LED ring as DRL and dim it for side light, they kept the additional (yellowish (n)(n)(n)) 21W bulb for the DRL.
Not sure about the high beam, I believe there´s versions with H7 and others with H1...

Back