General 5 Star Euro NCAP!!!

Currently reading:
General 5 Star Euro NCAP!!!

The iconic Fiat 500, Euro NCAP is pleased to announce, received five stars in adult occupant protection with an overall score of 35 points, revealing that Fiat has not compromised safety, even when compromising the car’s size.

Info here:
http://www.euroncap.com/tests/Fiat_500_2007/298.aspx

And here:
http://www.nuova500.co.uk/500/default.aspx

FIAT-500_Crash.JPG

Last edited:
What I don't get is "The presence of ISOFIX anchorages in the rear outboard seats is not clearly marked."

If the seats are anything like the same as the ones in my Bravo, which also got that comment, there are tabs with ISOFIX written on them next to the anchorages on both rear outboard seats :confused:

Seems clear enough to me.

Interesting but they havent really compromised on size, having seen a fair few on the road over here they dwarf the Panda.

The distance of the driver to the front of the car is huge, and it is heavy. Atleast they have used the bloating and the weight to good effect and beat Renault at its own safety game.

I had seen a test in an italian car mag stating the diesel at 1075kgs with a full tank, the official figure was 980kgs.

The 500s seem a bit slower than the Pandas so I assumed they all had a few more pies.

Having done all of 2 minutes research (flicked to the back of the mag) it seems the 1.2s are 5kgs heavier, the 1.4s are 30kgs heavier and the diesels are 45kgs heavier.
I guess there will be a fair bit of sound proofing for the diesels although the Pandas arent that bad.

What have they done over the Panda to get the extra safety rating? more airbags as standard and bits like that?

I have no idea what the difference is, but official figures from Fiat (www.fiatautopress.com) is a 5 kg difference with the 1,2 just as you say (Panda: 860kg vs. 500: 865kg), 1,4 16V has a difference of 45 kg (Panda: 975kg vs. 500: 930kg) and 1,3 MJET has a difference of 45 kg (Panda: 935 kg vs. 500: 980 kg). I have to admit the difference between the 1,4's (and the MJET's) are striking and could be due to wrong info, perhaps they switched the weight numbers for the 1,4 and MJET by mistake. :confused:
But what the hell, as long as the 500 is as stunning as it is, I really don't care ;)

What have they done over the Panda to get the extra safety rating? more airbags as standard and bits like that?

I haven't really thought of it, but perhaps they have strengthed the frame.
And the extra airbags certainly helped a bit (especially the knee-airbag). The Panda was only tested with a drivers airbag so that wasn't much help compared to the 7 airbags in the 500.

Back