General 5 good and 5 bad points about my t-jet

Currently reading:
General 5 good and 5 bad points about my t-jet

jameshobiecat

Established member
I have had my punto for a few days now and have covered over 400 miles, here are my 5 favourite things and 5 least favourite things about the car:

Good:
· Looks
· Performance – no ball of fire but fast enough to be fun
· Torque – it is almost diesel like in its ability to accelerate in gear
· Blue and Me – This is great, the updates worked and ecodrive is addictive
· Everything works and the car feels generally robust

Bad:
· Understeer - there is so much more understeer than in my previous 407, where the 407 would drift sideways all 4 wheels together, the Punto just ploughs straight on until the ESP comes in. I do have cheap front tyres and I hope that when I change these a better balance will be achieved but I can’t see it ever drifting neutrally.
· Cheap glove box – ill-fitting undamped lid and no light. A cost saving too far.
· Fuel economy – only averaging 35mpg though this should rise once the novelty of a new car wares off. I’d hope to get 39-40 in the long run.
· 5th too low/Lack of 6th gear - Its pulling 3500rpm at a motorway cruise, no wonder fuel economy is not great. I think the t-jet engine could handle a higher 5th gear than the 22mph/1000rpm it has, I would have thought I could handle 26mph/1000rpm. Even better would be to keep 5th roughly the same (or lower it slightly) and add a 6th gear.
· Speedo over read – I know all cars do this but the Punto over reads by a full 10% (with new front tyres). That means an indicated 80mph is actually 72. This is right on the limit of what is legally allowed and a pain.

Springs will not stop understeer, push it harder and you will get plenty.

James, what profile tyres are on the car now? Im running 205/40 and then it only goes to the limit of what is legally allowed. On standard 205/45 it was only a couple of mph out.

It is on the standard 205/45/17 88Vs which as I said are new. Going up to 50 profiles would improve the speedo and gearing but i'm not going to start messing with it.

Vance, Who can drive at 50-60 on the motorway? the 407 would sit at 80 giving 50mpg all day, still i didn't buy small petrol car for its motorway ability so maybe I should just accept it is thirsty.

Martwho, you are dead right, i feel the same.

The alfa gulietta TB has the same engine as the t-jet does it not? That weighs 200kg more and must drink fuel.

It is on the standard 205/45/17 88Vs which as I said are new. Going up to 50 profiles would improve the speedo and gearing but i'm not going to start messing with it.

Vance, Who can drive at 50-60 on the motorway? the 407 would sit at 80 giving 50mpg all day, still i didn't buy small petrol car for its motorway ability so maybe I should just accept it is thirsty.
I meant that you can't get better than 37 mpg on the motorway but you will get 40ish on 50-60 roads, as long as your light on the throttle.

Last edited:
Back