General 4x4 rear differential replacement - cost effective?

Currently reading:
General 4x4 rear differential replacement - cost effective?

Hi all
My 2005 4x4 rear diff clunking has been gradually worsening over the last couple of years, and the garage has now flagged it as soon to fail. There's no oil loss yet.
When it goes, where would I get a rear diff and what do they tend to cost? Is this likely to be the end of the road for a £1200-ish car? I do hope not...
Thanks in advance
Roger

that a difficult one

they seem to go for £300

so should be able to pick one up from a local beaker for less

however you could pick up a complete car without mot formal similar amount
and sell the rest off probably making a profit if you can be bothered

then again you could just start again with a more modern car

so many choices

the Good news is its rare for the rear diff to fail so s/h ain't that risky

Thanks very much everyone, good info and perspectives. £300 plus a garage fee (wish I had those skills...) is not the end of the world but it's good also to know there is no financially clear answer and we can go by how we feel when the time comes...
Cheers

Take off the drive shaft and see if the diff really is the culprit. It might be the shaft.
There should be a spec stating how much gear backlash is acceptable.

MOT tests are not infallible. Mine got failed for a brake fluid leak when the reality was spilled fluid on the caliper that I had not properly cleaned up after bleeding the brakes.

Last edited:
Continuing to knock with new drive shaft certainly looks like the differential. :(

Fiat are noted for changing stuff only when necessary so its worth doing some homework on this one. (319 is the Mk 3 Panda)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193746040507?hash=item2d1c29f6bb:g:tJUAAOSwT~lfrCXk

I have no idea if the gear ratio is correct and its the TwinAir version so odds are not great. But some research might show its the same as the 169 rear diff.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back