Technical 4x4 prop shaft supports modified.

Currently reading:
Technical 4x4 prop shaft supports modified.

Sjvarley

Established member
As all 4x4 owner know. The rubber propshaft mounts fail with regularity. But however the bearing supplied with the original part are still in good working order as they are fitted with debris Guard which throws the road dirt and moisture away from the bearings rollers. The cheaper replacement parts have poor quality bearing without a dirt guard which then soon needs replacing with a higher quality water resistant item but still without a guard
Here is a solution reuse the O E M bearing in a steel clamp fixing it with 2 rubber engine (ex mini ) mounts @ £2.00 each which then in turn, could be swopped out if they fail.

IMG_2193.JPG
IMG_2195.JPG

The main benefit of this system also means that the prop shaft can remain in position during the repairs or could be replaced at the side of the road. The isolation or bearing alinement is not changed.
Propshaft OEM parts are circa €150 each
The poorer quality part circa £42. Each
Then replacement bearing £20
These @ £ 2 each a good result.

Last edited by a moderator:
heh i glued mine back together with tiger seal, then used a long hose clamp to wrap around the whole thing holding it to the plate. did have to make 2 slots for the clamp to go through.

Mm yes. These are so simple. These Could go into production. Who wants to strip all prop off then the cruciform down and reassemble. For a 20 min job.
If only I had the time to make a die and former
Steve

Back