General 4x4 axle breather

Currently reading:
General 4x4 axle breather

i noticed a few spots of oil on the car park at work where i park the other day so i had a look under the panda a spotted a damp patch on the bottom of the axle. it looked like it was coming out of the pinion seal so as i didnt have a seal to hand i thought i had best make sure the oil was topped up untill i could fix it. as i was undoing the bung i could hear a rush of air a sure sign of a blocked vent. (see pic) i removed the cover from the vent and sure enough it was blocked with lots of crud:( i cleaned out the pipe in the axle and the cap that covers it (which is only crimped on) put it all back together cleaned down the axle and topped up the oil heres a tip the axle can be a slow filler especialy if you are changing the oil and need to put alot in i have found it easier to remove the filler bung but to fill it through the vent the pipe from the oil bottle will push on to the vent pipe (cap removed) then push the oil in untill it comes out of the filler(y)
i have done a few hundred miles since and the axle is still bone dry so it looks like the seal is ok and it was just the preasure that was pushing the oil out.

Attachments

• 2008_0802Image0017.JPG
    2008_0802Image0017.JPG
    711.8 KB · Views: 55
Thanks for the tip Richard.
Will keep an eye open for this one.
Regads.

Last edited:
Urchin, I see rust in your picture! The seams at the front of the wheelarch tend to go (just to the left of the silencer in your pic), it was rotted on mine one side and is pretty hard to repair, and bl**dy awkward. Worth doing before it deteriorates!

cheers,
Mike

Urchin, I see rust in your picture! The seams at the front of the wheelarch tend to go (just to the left of the silencer in your pic), it was rotted on mine one side and is pretty hard to repair, and bl**dy awkward. Worth doing before it deteriorates!

cheers,
Mike

I know i steam cleaned all the underside the week before my missis decided to have the baby six week early! but its on my list to sort it just need one good nights sleep:p

Back