Technical 40mm tb on 1108 - fitted

Currently reading:
Technical 40mm tb on 1108 - fitted

fordy

Established member
just finished fitting my tricker tb, and omfg! what a difference, the car lurches a little bit when you initially plant the throttle but after about 3k the car just goes! 110mph easy and i ran out of clear road, a lot faster on acceleration, well worth the 114 quid! everyone needs one of these!!!!

Its the cats pyjamas - I have one on the skanger banger but I wonder if it would benefit from re-chipping? I am trying to find info on SMT6 piggyback chipping the ECU to try and wring a few more horses out of it. Anyone?

Wouldn't it be great to dyno the 1108 and see what the difference was?

arc said:
mckrich has the same TB and he didnt think the chip needed any tweaking to work well with it.
Hey arc - what engine do you have? I just noticed your sig and you have a mickchip and tricker throttleblobby. If 1242, did you notice a difference with the chip?

ive got an 1108, il have a 1242 one day (when insurance comes down!). were planning to dnyo mine, at the same time as vivs smart. but thats got more pressing issues now!

Comparing throttle body sizes to Mini carburettors (of which I have far more knowledge) , I'm not surprised as to how well the 40mm body works .
A 998cc engined Mini works best on a 38mm carb ,
a 1275cc engined Mini works best with a 44mm carb .
I couldn't believe the tiny throttle body on my Cinq sport - it equates to the carb used on an 850cc Mini .Good for economy , but not power .
As any power increase will be most effective by removing the "weakest link" , then surely this throttle body change should be the first thing on everyone's list ..........it's certainly on mine !!
John

my spec is: -
1108cc
custom intake
custom exhaust
mckrich chip
tricker tb

fitting the chip tommorrow and decatting soon

should be nippy

got the 1242 in the garage for the change soon

Oh thanks . I've been looking at the inlet manifold on my car & the design is pretty awful - seems far too angular for a smooth flow .
Are custom intakes available for OHC engines ?
John

minijohn said:
Oh thanks . I've been looking at the inlet manifold on my car & the design is pretty awful - seems far too angular for a smooth flow .
Are custom intakes available for OHC engines ?
John

As far as I am aware there aren't any "custom" inlet manifolds for the Cinq ect.
There are obviously things that can be done to improve its performance however. Such as a Smoothing and Flowing of the inlet manifold and port matching to decrease turbulence as much as possible (this is not as simple as it sounds). Also throttle body modifications can decrease turbulance further and give good gains. From a theoretical view it is in fact possible to get within 9% of the flow provided by a 40mm TB with a 36mm TB from a Punto 75, with not massive smoothing to the TB - with the extra advantage of largly decreased turbulance - depending on how far you want to argue it from a perfect engineering point of view. If you were intrested in modifying the inlet manifold for increased flow then GSR would be able to do this, I should imagine it would be on an exchange basis however. If you wanted more information on this then PM and I can find out for you.
Regards,
Matt

bad_boy_racer said:
As far as I am aware there aren't any "custom" inlet manifolds for the Cinq ect.

Yeah yeah etc....thing to bear in mind is that a certain degree of turbulence in the inlet airflow is not a bad thing at all.

It should acutrally promote turbulence to a point...then stop it.

Is that not on the exhaust side? Which is why there is a sort of step? I think even with the smoothed'est TB and inlet manifold you could make on these cars - you couldn't eliminate turbulence... So I doubt you could go far enough to cause a detrimental effect. Though it is perfectly possible that I could be wrong there. Also is that not why the small groove is inside the inlet manifold... Something that should not be removed when flowing an IM?

Back