General 40mm Gmax springs not low enough

Currently reading:
General 40mm Gmax springs not low enough

LanciaMad

Established member
Fitted a set of gmax springs to my sei sporting last week and its not low enough. Does anyone know of any lower drops as I cant find any.

Mine are 50mm with uprated shocks and don't look that low tbh. They are though, the stops had to be but etc.

The Sei doesn't "look" as low as the cinq on the same springs, probably to do with the style.

What wheels do you have?

Kristian

Got 6 x 13 minilites

spax do a 60/40 kit.

it'd drop further if you fitted the right sized dampers than if you leave the stock ones

I dont understand this. Would the springs not drop to the level they want to be at regardless of the shocks?

no. the damper will restrict its movement because it is too big. the correct dampers are shorter to suit the springs.

But this would only come into effect when my std dampers are at the end of their travel and not when the car is stationary.

how low do you need it!

Mines lowered 40mm, and I can get the car to ground out on bumpy roads :eek:

any lower is surely madness

I need at least another true 20mm. I ended up putting my punto on coilovers because 50mm wasnt low enough. I dont want to have to do the same for the sei.(n)

But this would only come into effect when my std dampers are at the end of their travel and not when the car is stationary.
Not quite, there certainly are dampers with springs in them to help centralised the damper, on where the stock spring would sit, and to aid slow-bump damping rates. I duno if this setup is used on cento oe dampers or not.

Not quite, there certainly are dampers with springs in them to help centralised the damper, on where the stock spring would sit, and to aid slow-bump damping rates. I duno if this setup is used on cento oe dampers or not.

Gotya. The shocks are not spring loaded on the rear. Novitec sounds good to me.:D

Just checked, 50mm kit from novitec. Will look for pics.

Last edited:
gmax do a 60mm kit... hard to find but damn its low...

08042006_012_.jpg

08042006_009_.jpg

That looks better but I thought it was 60mm for the std sei and not the sporting? meaning if i fitted it I would still only have a 40mm drop.

Gotya. The shocks are not spring loaded on the rear. Novitec sounds good to me.:D
Even without spring loading a shock will be designed so that it has a higher resistance the furtherer away from central you get. This increases anti-roll properties of the shock and also makes the shock harder to bottom out on bumps when cornering which is something you really don't want to be doing. Drop the suspension too low and the shock will support more of the cars weight, looking at the travel on a 'cento you'll be sitting very low on a stock length shock with a 40mm ride hight reduction.

iirc Spax are the only people doing -60mm springs right now.

Back