4 pot caliper upgrade :D

Currently reading:
4 pot caliper upgrade :D

how could it possibly be worth the money?! :eek:

they'll look good i'll admit, but half a grand is a lot to spend on front brakes, especially for the benefit you'll get, which will be unbalanced brake bias and lots of locking up (or a very busy abs controller and a free leg massage if you have abs). surely it would be better to spend a lot less and fit a matching set of front and rear brakes from another car, like a coupe. a decent set of tyres makes a huge difference as well.

Last edited:
well i am running standard punto brakes at the minute, but im running 198BHP! :D the discs are 257mm or there abouts give or take a mm or 2! so am i best keeping them original with decent pads and discs then? because i like the look of 4 pot calipers, look awesome :D but will it cause me greif then when braking? i.e, will it overbrake such to say, hence lock up??

Last edited:
how could it possibly be worth the money?! :eek:

they'll look good i'll admit, but half a grand is a lot to spend on front brakes, especially for the benefit you'll get, which will be unbalanced brake bias and lots of locking up (or a very busy abs controller and a free leg massage if you have abs). surely it would be better to spend a lot less and fit a matching set of front and rear brakes from another car, like a coupe. a decent set of tyres makes a huge difference as well.

fair comment! i was just thinking bigger the brake the more stopping power! Am i thinking wrong? :S:confused: wouldnt it brake easier? :S

bigger brakes = more friction.

locking up occurs when the friction in the brakes is equal to or great than the friction between the tyres and road. you can have any brakes you want but they are still limited by the grip of the tyres. if your current brakes can lock up then realistically your new brakes wont be able to make you stop any quicker, the tyres are still the limiting factor.

so you're probably wondering whats the advantage? having more pistons on the calipers, and larger pads and discs, will give you more control over the amount of braking effort you use. it will also spread the pressure over the pads more evenly and over a greater surface area, that means less heat build up per unit of braking effort, quicker heat dissipation of any heat that does build up. with more control and feel you can take it closer to the point of locking up so in effect you can actually slow down more quickly if you dont have abs and you have good skills with the brake pedal.

sounds good, but then you need to consider if your brakes are really insufficient. on a 200bhp punto GT you can easily get into a situation where your brakes suffer from brake fade. having driven GT's in the past i've never had a lot of confidence in the stock brake setup, they lack feel and control, and its hard to judge when locking up will occur.

i think spending money on a brake upgrade is fully justified on a 200bhp GT, actually i think its an important upgrade, but i personally could not justify spending £500 on the front brakes because it wont deliver the results you want and its a bloody fortune. all you really need to do is get decent discs and pads front and rear. you want discs that will lose heat more easily and pads that can operate at higher heat levels without fading. some extra friction would be a bonus too but you only need a different pad material rather than a change in contact area. you dont need bigger brakes and multiple piston calipers to achieve it, and you definately dont need to spend £500. just get some better discs & pads, and change all your brake fluid using good quality super dot4. if you still want more stopping power after that i would get some better tyres. good rubber makes a hell of a difference.

Last edited:
Back