Technical 35mm springs - Bump stop advice

Currently reading:
Technical 35mm springs - Bump stop advice

So I have recently bought some Gmax 35mm lowering springs for my Punto MK2b. Within the box there is a note that says to lower the original bump stops by a minimum of 20mm.

Has anybody lowered there car on springs and shortened the bump stops? I want to know if it is easy to do and if it is important. I'm guessing it is important as they probably wouldn't say to do it otherwise.

I understand that they are made of rubber, so would using a sharp knife be the easiest way to do this?

Also are there bump stops in the rear and front suspension?

That may be a bit muddled but I hope it makes sense and somebody can help me out :)

Thanks,

Ash.

Bump stops several things
- stop the spring compressing to much and the coils hitting each other
- stops the dampers piston punching its bottom out
- stops the wheels hitting the bodywork

There should be 1 on each shock
the rears are cutable through the spring
the fronts becareful on fronts you dont damage the chrome shaft as it could make the shock leak badly

Ziggy

Bump stops several things
- stop the spring compressing to much and the coils hitting each other
- stops the dampers piston punching its bottom out
- stops the wheels hitting the bodywork

There should be 1 on each shock
the rears are cutable through the spring
the fronts becareful on fronts you dont damage the chrome shaft as it could make the shock leak badly

Ziggy

Thanks for the help.

So what would you recommend to cut them with? I am still to have the springs installed so do you think I should wait until then to shorten the bump stops as it will probably be easier? And is a 20mm cut going to effect those things you listed badly? for example will the tyres rub the body? Or will it effect the dampers in a bad way?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just need to get it all straight in my head, don't want to do anything before I know exactly what to do.

Thanks,

Ash.

I honestly wouldn't know

I mean you can cut them easily while there even in situe

A very sharp Craft knife most of the way down - and they try to pull it off so you dont risk damaging the Chrome shaft on the fronts

On the rear its nowt to worry about - as the strut is seperate

Ziggy

Back