Technical 35 maxi 160 handbrake rear cables

Currently reading:
Technical 35 maxi 160 handbrake rear cables

rieaa

Hello,
One of my rear cables has gone slack assume bust or disc end problem need exploded diagram to see how fits,appears to go in caliper ?
At 76 don't want to spend too much time crawling under,or for that matter spending half a day on a computer trying to download ? !
Rieaa.
mad.gif

The parking brake does not operate the caliper/pads but is a seperate 'top hat' drum system. There are many examples of this system on you-tube such as

You must have crawled under the van already, otherwise you wouldn't know one cable was slack!

The procedure given in the Ducato workshop manual involves sticking a screwdriver in a punched hole near the bottom of brake anchor plate. Behind the hole is a "crown" nut that adjusts the stop against which the brake segments rest. A tedious job because the thread is rusty and you cannot turn the nut more than 15 degrees at a time.
Instead, you can adjust the brake cables where they meet at the triangular plate in front of the rear axle. The size 13 nuts there are also rusty, but once you've crawled under you can at least see what you are doing.

Y
The procedure given in the Ducato workshop manual involves sticking a screwdriver in a punched hole near the bottom of brake anchor plate. Behind the hole is a "crown" nut that adjusts the stop against which the brake segments rest.

The procedure for the 3L top hat handbrake system shows the adjustment from the front as per the you tube video

Attachments

• X250%20handbrake%20adjustment[1].pdf
    120.1 KB · Views: 103
Be aware that adjusting the cables is not just a matter of taking up the slack. There are 2 cable adjustment points, and drum adjustment points, for a reason. All have to be adjusted so the cables are pulling at the right angle to generate the right tension. Otherwise the handbrake won't work properly.

Thanks all,
What I want to know is how to fit a new rear cable into the wheel end when i said slack I meant about 6" at the triangular end ! Pulled out with stick so must be bust. I'll replace both sides as not expensive.My 'Trustworthy' garage is booked for next 3 weeks. Rieaa.

Many thanks Rayc exactly what I wanted,I had a BMW with a similar arrangement,got to wear a blood pressure monitor for 24 hours so better keep away from it ! Rieaa.

Back