Technical 2nd Gear?!

Currently reading:
Technical 2nd Gear?!

Hey all, since I had my Grande Punto, I've always been annoyed at 2nd gear. I used to have an R reg Polo and that would change from whatever speed into 2nd gear without any problem, as will all the other cars in my household. But since I've had the GP I can only change from 4th to 2nd or 3rd to 2nd if I'm going slower than around 35-40 mph or it makes a huge crunching sound, as if I haven't depressed the clutch enough... but my foot is fully down when I depress the clutch and it still does that... why does it do it/is there any way of stopping it?!

Ta!

I have a similar thing happen to me when going from 5th to 4th at anything faster than 40mph. If I move the stick to neutral and hold it there for a split second, then down shift to forth, as apposed to just slipping from 5th to 4th in a single smooth action, it's absolutely fine. I'm worried I'm just convincing myself I don't have a gear box problem!

But I also agree that 40mph seems a bit fast in 2nd.

over revs anyone :idea:

seriously though why would you want to do 40mph in 2nd?

I often change from 5th to 2nd, but only when I'm about to turn at a junction or joining a slow moving queue of traffic and doing less than 20mph.

Last edited:
Surley thats too fast to change down to second gear???
Not really, it even does it at 25/30?!

I have a similar thing happen to me when going from 5th to 4th at anything faster than 40mph. If I move the stick to neutral and hold it there for a split second, then down shift to forth, as apposed to just slipping from 5th to 4th in a single smooth action, it's absolutely fine. I'm worried I'm just convincing myself I don't have a gear box problem!

But I also agree that 40mph seems a bit fast in 2nd.
I'll give that a go.
40 mph is tops when I change down, but it will tend to do it in the range 20-40mph

turn the death metal music down & you'll hear the gearbox screaming "I dont like it when you do that";)
solution: learn to drive
Helpful, thanks :)

Nice and smooth all the way. You will see a better return on economy and wear and tear on mechanical components.

Not really, it even does it at 25/30?!

I'll give that a go.
40 mph is tops when I change down, but it will tend to do it in the range 20-40mph

Helpful, thanks :)
I just dont understand why you would need to change down at that speed? Is it to overtake or stop? Please don't take it as a criticism just dont want to hear about your gearbox blowing up!

Iv got the same car,, 40mph in 2nd gear is a bit drastic.

The crunching sound could be the drastic take on the engine braking and the gearbox.

For the approaching a junction question,, you should leave it in the gear in this case 4th when approaching and slow down in 4th then when at the right speed of turn which is like 15-20mph change into 2nd or the optimum gear before the corner, as you may need to stop or then turn. You shudnt change at 40mph into 2nd then slow down as thats heavy on the engine, causes uneccersary over revving, and could be stupid.

Wernt you taught this when you learnt to drive? By doing this your driving is more smoother and increases your economy!

If you go to overtake doing 40 then dropping to 2nd you will instantly over rev. You will have to change into 3rd straight away and also not gaining any speed and just creating huge over revving damaging your engine. If you drop your speed when assessing the overtake to about 30 drop to 2nd hit the power band therfore giving a larger increase in speed.

Sorry if sounds complicated im not very good at simple type lol

Last edited:
i assume if you are breaking coming to a junction and you want to slow the car down 4th into 3rd while breaking and then into 2nd, but with the grande (well my 1.4) you barely use 2nd and i think thats the same for most cars

Iv got the same car,, 40mph in 2nd gear is a bit drastic.

The crunching sound could be the drastic take on the engine braking and the gearbox.

For the approaching a junction question,, you should leave it in the gear in this case 4th when approaching and slow down in 4th then when at the right speed of turn which is like 15-20mph change into 2nd or the optimum gear before the corner, as you may need to stop or then turn. You shudnt change at 40mph into 2nd then slow down as thats heavy on the engine, causes uneccersary over revving, and could be stupid.

Wernt you taught this when you learnt to drive? By doing this your driving is more smoother and increases your economy!

If you go to overtake doing 40 then dropping to 2nd you will instantly over rev. You will have to change into 3rd straight away and also not gaining any speed and just creating huge over revving damaging your engine. If you drop your speed when assessing the overtake to about 30 drop to 2nd hit the power band therfore giving a larger increase in speed.

Sorry if sounds complicated im not very good at simple type lol
Nah when I'm looking to overtake (or speed up) I'll be going about 25/30 then drop it down go get that power.

Don't get me wrong, I don't do it most of the time (I can actually drive you know) but it was just a question as to why the **** it did it!

Yh cool cool,

Im not questioning your driving, you passed your test and got a driving licence (y)

Id say if the problem you say consists to annoys you, go to a fiat dealer or garage and have it checked. Take a technician or mechanic out to witness the problem and see what they diagnose the problem as, I dont know if this costs anything.

In your own opinion if you think it may lead to further problems or damage to anything have it checked or experiment to see if different speeds and driving styles change the problem.

Slightly off topic where in wolves do you live? I live in Dudley but came from Sedgley (y)

Last edited:
The change to 2nd gear in my GP Sporting is notchy and obstructive whether changing up or down. Perhaps "they're all like that sir". :D

Back