Technical 2nd gear syncro

Currently reading:
Technical 2nd gear syncro

mr500

Hmmm?.. Seems my 2nd gear syncro is on its way out.

I had the box out a couple of weeks ago for the clutch but had detected a minor crunch between 1st to 2nd if rushed. Thought I could get plenty more miles out of it. But its not looking good. Wish I changed the box now but reasoned a higher miler would be potentially as bad.

Bummer as the box/car has done 36k miles genny.

I supose I'll just have to live with it! (unless a low mileage but guaranteed OK box comes my way).

Has anyone else had 2nd gear syncro probs? At such low miles? My clutch is new and adjusted perfect. Oddly enough dropping from 3rd to 2nd is fine. Its when I rush 1st to 2nd that graunches.

Oh well pooh happens!!

:mad:

Has anyone else had 2nd gear syncro probs? At such low miles? My clutch is new and adjusted perfect. Oddly enough dropping from 3rd to 2nd is fine. Its when I rush 1st to 2nd that graunches.
Sounds exactly like my first P60 box, try 4th to 2nd and see what happens. You see fiat saw fit to make 2nd a massive 81% taller than 1st which means that any problem with 2nds syncro will be exaggerated a lot by that. A better option to see if there is a down change problem is the 4th to 2nd change.

I bought my seicento at 15000 miles and my second gear syncro is gone too. When i bought it dad said that the women drivers were probably hitting a combination of 2nd and 4th gear as they dragged back the stick which eventually wore the syncro out.

Bearing in mind three girls leant how to drive in this car previous to me owning it.! I changed the oil immediatle to EP80 and in the summer i run EP90. The car has now covered 25000 and its still bareable. I get the occasional grind when the gearbox warms up which is why i change the oil from winter to summer. Thicker oil in the summer thinner in the winter otherwise i found i couldnt change gear at all on a cold morning lol. :D

Thanks
Matt

Back