Technical 2017 Spider Abarth Fuel Smell

Currently reading:
Technical 2017 Spider Abarth Fuel Smell

CentralCalifSpider

2017 Spider Abarth Fuel Smell…

Last month I noticed what I thought was an exhaust smell (inside my car) while stopped at a stop light. First, I thought it was exhaust smell from someone in front of me. When moving the smell vanished, then it would return the next time I was stopped. After many stops, I’ve determined it’s not exhaust from a vehicle near me.

I took it to the dealership and asked them to identify the problem. They put smoke into the exhaust system (under pressure) and checked under the hood for a problem. There was no leak in the exhaust system and they could not find any reason for the smell I described. They could not even get the issue (the smell) to appear at all. They called me and I took their service guy on a test drive to show them it was not my imagination. I could get it to happen during the test drive. Mysteriously, the smell was gone, for about 3 to 4 weeks (about 6 fill-ups).

But now the smell has returned and occurs as it did before, but I believe the smell to be a fuel smell, not exhaust. I have noticed that it only appears when the a/c and/or heat is on and blowing. If I’m stopped with the a/c or heat OFF, the smell is not present, but once I turn the a/c or heat on, the smell appears somewhat quickly. There is NO fuel smell while moving with the a/c or heat on.

I’ve read of an issue with an evap value on top of the fuel tank. But I didn’t think that fit my issue, since mine appears when I’m stopped, engine running, and the a/c or heat is on. I think the smell is coming through the air vents (but can’t confirm), but it does appear when the system is on and stops when the system is off.

I was thinking if the smell is coming through the air vents, it must somehow be coming from the engine compartment. But I’ve searched a few Fiat forums and can’t find a post with a similar problem.

Has anyone read about a similar problem or have any ideas?

Thank you for your help

Curtis

Check the fuel line. I had a similar problem and it turned out that the fuel line was dripping at the point where it connects to the injection ramp.

2017 Spider Abarth Fuel Smell…

Last month I noticed what I thought was an exhaust smell (inside my car) while stopped at a stop light. First, I thought it was exhaust smell from someone in front of me. When moving the smell vanished, then it would return the next time I was stopped. After many stops, I’ve determined it’s not exhaust from a vehicle near me.

I took it to the dealership and asked them to identify the problem. They put smoke into the exhaust system (under pressure) and checked under the hood for a problem. There was no leak in the exhaust system and they could not find any reason for the smell I described. They could not even get the issue (the smell) to appear at all. They called me and I took their service guy on a test drive to show them it was not my imagination. I could get it to happen during the test drive. Mysteriously, the smell was gone, for about 3 to 4 weeks (about 6 fill-ups).

But now the smell has returned and occurs as it did before, but I believe the smell to be a fuel smell, not exhaust. I have noticed that it only appears when the a/c and/or heat is on and blowing. If I’m stopped with the a/c or heat OFF, the smell is not present, but once I turn the a/c or heat on, the smell appears somewhat quickly. There is NO fuel smell while moving with the a/c or heat on.

I’ve read of an issue with an evap value on top of the fuel tank. But I didn’t think that fit my issue, since mine appears when I’m stopped, engine running, and the a/c or heat is on. I think the smell is coming through the air vents (but can’t confirm), but it does appear when the system is on and stops when the system is off.

I was thinking if the smell is coming through the air vents, it must somehow be coming from the engine compartment. But I’ve searched a few Fiat forums and can’t find a post with a similar problem.

Has anyone read about a similar problem or have any ideas?

Thank you for your help

Curtis
It definitely sounds like a fuel leak in the engine bay!!

Yes the engine bay is the place too look, when the heating is on it draws fumes into the cabin from the engine bay. Air cleaner etc of and look for the leak

Back