General 2017 Fiat 500S - Road Tax £165

Currently reading:
General 2017 Fiat 500S - Road Tax £165

Drozich

Does anyone know why the road tax is £165/year on a 2017 500S 1.2?

Didn't do my homework before buying the car and was shocked at the tax price. We also have a 2010 1.2 Pop and that is £30/year

Won't change anything but just interested to know why there's a difference.

Thanks.

The car companies were getting too good at meeting the emission laws, since less emission meant less VED tax. The government in their wisdom decided they can't have that, motorists must pay through the nose for their car, therefore must hammer all cars regardless of the emissions. In 2017 they introduced a flat rate for all cars, other then pure electric (still £0).

It means no more incentive to cut emissions, although there is a higher banding for over £40k cars.

Fair enough mate, thanks for the reply :)
Yes its annoying it changed I believe on 1st April 2017. My first Panda twinair was £30 as registered at the end of Jan 17. I chaaged it in 2019 and am now lumoed with the 165 bill for an identical car. There is neither fairness, common sense or logic to these changes.

Yes its annoying it changed I believe on 1st April 2017. My first Panda twinair was £30 as registered at the end of Jan 17. I chaaged it in 2019 and am now lumoed with the 165 bill for an identical car. There is neither fairness, common sense or logic to these changes.
well, that depends on how localised your viewpoint is! And whether or not you think electric cars are or arent more environmentally harmful than ICE vehicles - that thought leads down a whole other road and discussion about a myriad of other things!

When I was looking for a car in 2018 I was originally going to buy either a 169 Panda or a 319 Panda with £30 year tax but in the end decided to buy new for once in my life as at the time it was only about £1500 difference between a new one & a 3-4 year old car. My tax is due at the end of this month, I found a reciept for road tax from when I first bought the Panda which was £140 then & it is £165 this year. Daylight robbery especially as they never seem to fix the roads properly

Back