Technical 2016 ducato rear doors won't open from outside. Why?

Currently reading:
Technical 2016 ducato rear doors won't open from outside. Why?

Martinsouthwales

My rear doors on my 2016 130 multijet motorhome won't open from outside. Can anyone tell me how to fix this please?

:) Hmmm well I may be thick, but not THAT thick. I have to open the door from inside which is difficult given the position of the bed (It's a Motorhome). Is this something I could fix myself? I am reasonably handy given a little guidance.

Last edited:
Are you saying the back door cannot be unlocked from outside the van at all, either using the remote or with the key in the rear door lock?

If so, it's possible that the control cable which runs from the back of the lock handle mechanism to the latch assembly has either snapped or more likely detached from the linkage at one of its ends. You will need to remove the internal read door trim panel if there is one fitted, and then examine the cables and linkages inside the door.

I'm assuming your MH is a panel van conversion with normal Ducato rear barn doors. If you're asking about the habitation door on a coachbuilt van it would depend on the type of lock fitted by the converter and to what extent if any that it has been integrated into the locking system of the van.

Last edited:
I obviously failed to be clear enough. the MH is a panel van conversion with normal barn doors. Unlocking with the key fob is normal, but the rear doors simply cannot be unlatched using the outside handle, but the inside handle does the job albeit with difficulty due to position of the bed. It seems like the outside handle is failing to trip the latch. I just wonder if it's an easy fix or if a garage is the only way?
Thanks for your responses by the way. I am grateful!

Sounds like the handle linkage is not acting on the locking mechanism then. Most common cause is the operating cable becoming detached at one end as I suggested. If not immediately obvious, check the link rods on the back of the handle (inside the door) also. If you need to remove the handle for better access it is held by three or four nuts on the inside of the door. The internal door skin panel has convenient access holes to allow you to get a socket on them if necessary. The locking handle and studs are a single unit and can be pulled out of the door panel from the outside once the retaining nuts are removed. Check the other ends of the cables from the handle also. I think from memory there are two. One to the centre latch and the second to the latch at the top of the door.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for all the good advice. I hope to tackle this job over the weekend. In any event I will report back on how it goes. :)

Just a thought.....

If it's been like that from new, have you got a two-button or three button remote?

If it's a two button one, I wonder if the 'van has been set up for three button working.

(If it's a three button remote, you need to use the extra button for the rear doors, but I suspect you would have spotted that ;) )

Hi Charlie,
Erm, I know that I can flip the plastic locking thingumybob to the locked position and then see if it opens when I work the handles if that is what you mean. Other than that I am clueless.

I've taken the door card off today so I can see inside, not that I can see much. There doesn't appear to be any rod adrift or anything looking like its broken and Ive fiddled about a bit but still the lock opens only from the inside handle and not from the exterior one. It's a bit frustrating as I had hoped to see something very obviously loose or broken. I just wish I knew the best place to take it for repair. I've worked in a ford main dealers in the past so I know a lot of mechanics are no less of a Hobbler than I am! ;-)

Ive not had a Ducato for a decade.. so the inner workings are a mystery to me too.

I wouls be tempted to set aside half hour to trawl through old posts

The SEARCH function should let you search 'rear door' etc. in DUCATO section only.

Remember the rear doors are likely to be identical to the pug and cotroen too

Good luck :)

I'm on a phone only in the middle of France at the moment. Try searching for a YouTube video on fitting "Proplates" to.a Citroen Relay. It shows the removal of the driver's door lock and handle from the door skin. The back door is basically the same although there may be an extra stud and nut securing the handle, I can't remember offhand. You should also be able to see how the actuating cable connects. There is only one on the front door handle, but two I believe on the rear and side doors. They connect to the locks and operate in a similar way to cycle brakes, with a fixed outer sleeve and an inner pull cable. One of these cables having come adrift at either the handle or the lock end is almost certainly your problem.

Search for Ducato/Relay/Boxer lock handle on Google as well. Select images and you should find some clear photos of the back of the handles and actuating mechanisms.

eLearn for the Ducato X250 will describe the procedures with diagrams. You can download it from the download section on this site, or there are eBay sellers offering the Citroen Relay workshop manual which also describes the process and arguably has better illustrations since they are photos of the actual assemblies rather than line drawings.

Back