Technical 2012, 263, 1.6 MJ Doblo

Currently reading:
Technical 2012, 263, 1.6 MJ Doblo

cobby58

Having replaced both front road springs along with shock absorbers earlier this year (KYB), I have been getting grinding noises when turning the steering on right had lock. On investigation it seems like one spring is distorting and fouling the steering. The KYB springs gave a harsh ride, so once I have sorted a claim with the vendors, can anyone recommend an aftermarket spring that gives a comfortable ride? I'm looking at Apex.

Having replaced both front road springs along with shock absorbers earlier this year (KYB), I have been getting grinding noises when turning the steering on right had lock. On investigation it seems like one spring is distorting and fouling the steering. The KYB springs gave a harsh ride, so once I have sorted a claim with the vendors, can anyone recommend an aftermarket spring that gives a comfortable ride? I'm looking at Apex.
Just a thought, not a problem with top strut mount/bearings, as is a common issue.

Strange one spring only distorting and fouling, was there much difference in new springs compared with the originals?
The KYB springs looked the same, but the ride is really firm... bordering on awful! After replacement, the steering was ok for the first month, and then I noticed a grinding on full lock, more so on left lock. Now on occasions it still fouls with the wheels dead ahead and sounds like the car is about to fall apart! 😂
I have sent the offending spring back to the supplier for a refund 🤞and I intend to replace both sides once again, if anyone can recommend a spring that is somewhere near original ride

The KYB springs looked the same, but the ride is really firm... bordering on awful! After replacement, the steering was ok for the first month, and then I noticed a grinding on full lock, more so on left lock. Now on occasions it still fouls with the wheels dead ahead and sounds like the car is about to fall apart! 😂
I have sent the offending spring back to the supplier for a refund 🤞and I intend to replace both sides once again, if anyone can recommend a spring that is somewhere near original ride
Sounds a bit worrying, this is a standard set up, not coil overs or anything like that? Just wondered why you went for the KYB ones.
I have a 2010 1.6 Multijet Maxi van, basically standard but bought cheap knowing things needed top be done, top strut bearings for one as it had been standing (not a problem when I get around to it as I do have a hydraulic spring compressor) engine goes into limp mode after warming up and giving it some accelerator. Plus when I got it there was oil in the water due to a faulty oil cooler, then had to replace a load of cooling system O rings as the oil had expanded them. Always cheap for a reason eh!

Sounds a bit worrying, this is a standard set up, not coil overs or anything like that? Just wondered why you went for the KYB ones.
I have a 2010 1.6 Multijet Maxi van, basically standard but bought cheap knowing things needed top be done, top strut bearings for one as it had been standing (not a problem when I get around to it as I do have a hydraulic spring compressor) engine goes into limp mode after warming up and giving it some accelerator. Plus when I got it there was oil in the water due to a faulty oil cooler, then had to replace a load of cooling system O rings as the oil had expanded them. Always cheap for a reason eh!
I went with KYB as I had issues with rear shocks in my early days of ownership, and they sorted that problem. KYB are (allegedly) a premium brand. When the car has weight in it, the spring rate is better, so I'm thinking the application is across the board whether it is a car or a van. I'm reluctant to just bang on another KYB, and hope someone comes up with a recommendation.

I went with KYB as I had issues with rear shocks in my early days of ownership, and they sorted that problem. KYB are (allegedly) a premium brand. When the car has weight in it, the spring rate is better, so I'm thinking the application is across the board whether it is a car or a van. I'm reluctant to just bang on another KYB, and hope someone comes up with a recommendation.
I had a 05 1.9 JTD Doblo seven seater with 220 k on it and leaf springs shot, as I was going to tow with it I fitted some heavy duty springs with extra leaves, great with a heavy load, but cornering empty was interesting;)

I had a 05 1.9 JTD Doblo seven seater with 220 k on it and leaf springs shot, as I was going to tow with it I fitted some heavy duty springs with extra leaves, great with a heavy load, but cornering empty was interesting;)
😂 The earlier model Doblos were a bit odd in thōe handling department with the leaf spring set up, so beefing them up must of been challenging.
With the 263 it's a completely different animal with the independent bi link rear suspension, and you could hurl it though the bends with ease. This was my disappointment after replacing the front springs. As above I had previous problems with the rear shocks, and KYB replacements (in that case) returned the car back to a comfortable ride 😞

😂 The earlier model Doblos were a bit odd in thōe handling department with the leaf spring set up, so beefing them up must of been challenging.
With the 263 it's a completely different animal with the independent bi link rear suspension, and you could hurl it though the bends with ease. This was my disappointment after replacing the front springs. As above I had previous problems with the rear shocks, and KYB replacements (in that case) returned the car back to a comfortable ride 😞
After some of the rubbish I have driven in the past any improvement is a bonus;)

Ok...just a quick update on the front spring situation. I have now (once again) replaced both front springs with Kilen (12224) springs.
These give a much better, ride than the awful KYB (RA3427) Springs, plus they appear to have less of the bulge out upon compression, so hopefully no more springs hitting the inner wings.
So it's a 👍 for Kilen.

Back