General 2011 Panda 4x4 "Pandis"

Currently reading:
General 2011 Panda 4x4 "Pandis"

epifant

343658291_1756692544746696_5924846867525408516_n.jpg

Just bought a Panda 4x4. So much fun! 33500 miles and ELD. Goes very well with my Coupé 20VT Plus. My four year old loves it and has named it "Pandis". Needs the usual "new to me" service with all fluids, filters etc. and perhaps some new tyres. It also has a rather loud rpm-related belt noise I'll have to sort. No change with AC on/off or clutch engaged or not, so perhaps a worn bearing/tensioner or wrong tension on one of the belts?

View attachment 422171

Just bought a Panda 4x4. So much fun! 33500 miles and ELD. Goes very well with my Coupé 20VT Plus. My four year old loves it and has named it "Pandis". Needs the usual "new to me" service with all fluids, filters etc. and perhaps some new tyres. It also has a rather loud rpm-related belt noise I'll have to sort. No change with AC on/off or clutch engaged or not, so perhaps a worn bearing/tensioner or wrong tension on one of the belts?
Alternator?? Try spraying with light oil

Get under the car with a mirror and look for cracks in the alternator casing. The laminated core rusts and expands. Eventually they seize solid. A petrol can get you home - battery allowing. A diesel might risk overheating as the water pump is driven by the accessory belt.

A check with the stethoscope points strongly to the alternator being the culprit. And after getting new fluids, filters, (iridium) spark plugs and rubber mats all round including a boot protector, it got MOT'd. Just needs a headlamp adjustment and a new rear exhaust. Stainless alternatives seem non-existant, so I might have to buy my father a bottle of red. He's newly retired and has just taken up TIG welding...

A check with the stethoscope points strongly to the alternator being the culprit.
Flick the aux belt off very easy on cars with aircon and start the car, and see if it goes away.

Should also be able to feel a faulty alternator bearing by spring it by hand with the belt off

Some cars the alternator bearings regularly go. Thankfully on the panda it's fairly rare

My seizing alternator made a noise on engine start a bit like a waterpump sceech it then went away. I had heard the same sound on the BMW bike (it had a car style alternator) so got under the car and found the cracked alternator casing. I replaced the alternator and chucked it into the garage. A week later it was locked solid.

Flick the aux belt off very easy on cars with aircon and start the car, and see if it goes away.t
Good tip. Belt off, sound still present 😩

At least thats a handful of parts off the suspects list...

Good tip. Belt off, sound still present 😩

At least thats a handful of parts off the suspects list...
Dam there the easer ones on that side to diagnose

Take a video on your phone move slowly around where you think the noise is

The microphone is very sensative to distance, hopefully on play back you can tell where its the loudest

With the aux belt off you still have the timing belt idler and water pump spinning on that side

Gearbox and clutch cause odd noises but should alter with gear or clutch so discounting them for now

Back