Technical 2011 500c semi auto, electronic issues, hill start, esp, stop start transmission etc.

Currently reading:
Technical 2011 500c semi auto, electronic issues, hill start, esp, stop start transmission etc.

chris red

My missus has 500 and it appears to be going tits up. After not very long of driving it flashes up lots of failures ESP, Hill Start, Stop Start etc. A little while after this is flashes up Check Transmission, it drives the only noticable difference is tge hill assist. I've plugged it into my OBD2 reader and there are no error codes. Any idea what to do to sort this? I'd rather not be bent over by a dealer if I can avoid it.

Thanks
Chris

Might be worth checking the brake switch, it can play havoc with the hill assist if its faulty.

My first thought was battery however it seems fine, 12.5v with everything off and no trouble starting. How do I check the brake light switch is it simply seeing if the brake lights come on?

My friend has a fancier reader I'll see if that does anything.

Thanks for the input

Thanks Chris

Update to this, It was doing it every time she drove the car, I followed her for a while and couldn't see anything wrong with the brake lights. I used my friends proper reader and found no error codes. I decided to pull the switch anyway, it looked fine. Turning on the car with the switch removed gave the same errors she was seeing when driving. I 'played' with the switch a bit, pushing it repeated through it's full range of motion and put it back it doesn't done it since:D

I ordered the new switch anyway but it seems at least a partial fix. If it happens again I'll replace the switch.

Maybe it just needed reseating or maybe the contacts had gotten slightly corroded either way it seems fine now!

While we are at it anything else I can prepare for to avoid bill bills? Hers had 50k on the clock she loves the car, her 'Daphne' and doesn't want rid yet!

Almost forgot to say big thanks to everyone (especially Maggie), you have certainly saved us money.

Update to this, It was doing it every time she drove the car, I followed her for a while and couldn't see anything wrong with the brake lights. I used my friends proper reader and found no error codes. I decided to pull the switch anyway, it looked fine. Turning on the car with the switch removed gave the same errors she was seeing when driving. I 'played' with the switch a bit, pushing it repeated through it's full range of motion and put it back it doesn't done it since:D

I ordered the new switch anyway but it seems at least a partial fix. If it happens again I'll replace the switch.

Maybe it just needed reseating or maybe the contacts had gotten slightly corroded either way it seems fine now!

While we are at it anything else I can prepare for to avoid bill bills? Hers had 50k on the clock she loves the car, her 'Daphne' and doesn't want rid yet!

If you want to do work yourself on a modern Fiat the best investment you can make is Multiecuscan www.multiecucan.com This software a cheap ELM 327 reader ("modified" and USB not wireless) and an old laptop (windows XP is fine) will pay for itself very quickly. For you first fault you could have sat in the passenger seat and monitored the status or the brake switch as the wife drove the car. If on your own it can put it on a graph for later review. So much is databus operated on a modern car you really need this type of diagnostic. We are lucky to have a REALLY good one at minimum cost. It was actually a significant factor in my buying another Fiat (Croma). The "same" car by Saab has no support like this and the Vauxhall Vectra C has limited.

Robert G8RPI.

Update, The new switch arrived I compared it to the old one and the old was looser and didn't feel as solid. Even though the original had given us no problems since sorting it I replaced it and it has been fine ever since.

Back