General 2010 Panda Active Eco - Rattling at rear

Currently reading:
General 2010 Panda Active Eco - Rattling at rear

napolimp

Hi all,

Just bought a Panda as a first car and joined the forum.

It drives well but am experiencing an issue with rattling at the rear of the car. It started when I had someone sat in the back for the first time, and there was a light thudding - especially as I was pulling off in first. Then a heavier person sat in the back and the car was rattling whilst pulling away in first. On the other hand, when there is no weight in the back I don't experience any rattling at all.

I tried rocking the car up and down at the back, whilst the car was parked, and I could hear the rattling if pushing hard enough. Then today, I had to park the car facing down hill on quite a steep gradient, I put the handbrake on and immediately as soon as I moved in my seat the rear started rattling really loudly - every single little movement of the car produced a loud rattle.

I parked the car up at home and got someone to rock the back up and down whilst I had a look underneath. I couldn't locate anything loose but when I held the rear axle still the rattling stopped.

I'm probably going to take it to a garage but was curious if anyone had any idea what the issue might be?

Thanks.

Put you arm around the rear wheel and grab the shock near the top. Try moving it. Do the same with someone in the rear

Very common for the top mount to go and If poorly fitted they only last about a year.

Put you arm around the rear wheel and grab the shock near the top. Try moving it. Do the same with someone in the rear

Very common for the top mount to go and If poorly fitted they only last about a year.

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to check this out tomorrow.

I agree dampers are a potential problem. Cheap to replace and try Monro as these are same as original equipment and well priced.

Also check the bump stops are still there still secure and not loose.

Dont for get to check wheel nuts! Also exhaust mounts and not forgetting wheel nut covers.

Last edited:
I agree dampers are a potential problem. Cheap to replace and try Monro as these are same as original equipment and well priced.

Also check the bump stops are still there still secure and not loose.

Dont for get to check wheel nuts! Also exhaust mounts and not forgetting wheel nut covers.

Thanks!

Going to take a look at all of those tomorrow.

Soft exhaust mounts can also cause this symptom. The centre mounts usually have a nylon band around them, so when the rubber goes soft, or breaks, the exhaust is still held. But when there is weightin the car, the engine has to work a little harder to move it from rest, so the engine moves a little more on its mountings, as the exhaust moves more too.

Hi napolimp - as you've stated in another thread that the brakes & especially handbrake feel dodgy, I would be getting the rear up in the air, checking suspension & brakes for anything obviously loose.

It depends how comfortable you are tackling DIY maintenance - you absolutely shouldn't get under a car unless you know you're doing it safely, and you'll need a decent jack and axle stands.

Rear brakes and suspension on the Panda are some of the easiest components to replace, and the parts are really cheap.

There's a great guide to replacing the rear shock absorbers here: https://www.fiatforum.com/panda-guides/443637-panda-rear-suspension-replacement.html. See if you feel confident to tackle it.

If you can, I think it's worth doing anyway - if only to tackle the rust that will inevitably be on your spring pans and inside lip of the drums.

Back