Technical 2009 ducato 2.3 throttle body upgrade

Currently reading:
Technical 2009 ducato 2.3 throttle body upgrade

5tox

I had the P0638 code appear so took the throttle body off for inspection, while the flap sprung back to the open position it did feel slightly notchy, upon closer inspection the end of the shaft that meets the actuator had fractured and broken.

Looking to replace the whole unit i discovered that part number 604099669 is no longer available and a bit of online reading suggests that i need to upgrade to a newer redesigned throttle body.

All the different part numbers on ebay has frazzled my brain, they all look the same... is anybody able to confirm what i need?

I was also a little confused to the number of pins of the plug, i understand you need a special wiring harness for the upgrade but my plug has 4 pins and the replacement parts seem to have 3?

I did read one post which suggested that the cable could just be unplugged to eliminate the fault code without any detrimental effects, if thats correct in theory i could just keep the throttle body set to wide open, keep it unplugged and put it all back together saving £200+

Any clarity or guidance is much appreciated,

Google for 'Coastal motorhomes' (https://coastalmotorhomes.co.uk/). They seem to hold a good stock of parts for the Ducato. I got a replacement throttle body for a 2007 Ducato from them complete with adapter cable.
They are also on Ebay.co.uk so might be worth looking there as well.
BTW do not forget to get new gaskets.

Martin, GM6VXB

Hi,
I just replaced mine on a 3.0L 2007 Jumper. I also had to use an adapter cable. The connector seemed the same so I tried it without at first (didn't know about the adaptor) and it doesn't work. The pins are in a different order on the newer part.

You could also cut off the original connector and re-solder the wires in the correct order, the original connector will fit, but not 'click' so I'm afraid it will either come loose or let in water after a while.

Unplugging the tb completely will put the engine into limb mode (at least on the 3.0L) and it will throw other errors about EGR flow. although I have driven around with a broken tb stuck at half open without any troubles... until it broke down electrically...

I can't find any info using your part number... I got the Pierburg tb replacement and seems to be working fine.

Someone commented on my Insta post as well saying you can replace the metal plate above the tb where the vacuum solenoid of the EGR valve is mounted. This is the culprit of the tb failing since this is where the water drips from onto the mechanics of the tb. The guy said you can replace it with some kind of redesign that drains the water away from the tb and other parts. I haven't found it yet.

Good luck!

Link to my thread:

https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/486118-pierburg-throttle-body.html

Hi 5tox

The throttle body (TB) is part of the EGR system, so if you leave it stuck wide open this will not function properly. The TB also closes momentarily on switching off the engine, to prevent shudder.

There are only 3 connections, +12V, Ground and PWM control signal. The harness plug may have more than 3 pins, but only 3 are wired up. The adaptor cables have 3 wires.

Your van was probably fitted with the old style spring-loaded Wahler TB, in which case you need the adpator cable. However, 2009 is around the changeover date and it's just possible it was factory fitted with the later style TB, in which case you won't need the adaptor cable. I suggest you check this.

I used a Marelli TB supplied by Autodoc, complete with a 4 to 6 pin adaptor cable for my 2008 Van. It was reasonably priced, cleared my fault code and works well. The same people can supply the thin metal gaskets, one large one for the TB and two smaller ones for the metal pipe from the EGR.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond, much appreciated.

Taking the advice above i contacted coastalmotorhomes who were extremely helpful, i have a new redesigned throttle body plus adapter cable being delivered tomorrow for just under £200
Lets hope that sorts my problem, MOT is booked for next week :)

Hi again.

If you have managed to remove the Throttle Body already then you have done the most difficult bit. Even so (if you haven't already seen it ) my post 4548535 from last year covers the techniques for dismantling etc.

Thank you all for the comments,

The new upgraded throttle body and conversion cable have cured the problem and my engine management light has gone out.

Back