2007 Vauxhall Astra 1.9CDTi

Currently reading:
2007 Vauxhall Astra 1.9CDTi

Schwenck

Embrace depreciation...
Can any of you fine FIATforumers confirm or deny the 150bhp diesel engine in the current Vauxhall Astra/Opel Kadett 1.9CDTi is a rebadged FIAT Multijet? I've tried the usual places I'd research but to no avail.

Think I've just found the answer to my own question; yes it is. GM even use it in SAAB 9-3s. Probably explains why it felt about 10 times better than the diesel in the Focus I had the other week :yuck:

Shame really; spoiled an otherwise comfortable and competent car. That and being terminally understated and soulless ;)

GM and fiat had a collaboration during 2000-2005, which saved fiat and prevented anyone buying them out. as part of that deal GM share the rights to the JTD engine equally with fiat. the JTD was developed at powertrain in turin, a GM managed facility to this day. GM dont use the 2.4 version, only the 1.9, but GM have the right to use the 2.4 if they want.

One of our cars is a 9-3 Vector Sport Sportwagon (short name for a car)with the 1.9Tid 150hp engine in it, mated to 6 speed tiptronic auto. Engine is great when warmed up, but a bit loud when cold. Also loads of torque and decent economy.

Only issue with Saab is £315 for a first service, which is basically a glorified oil change :(

Last edited:
Reply from jug is pretty accurate, except to the best of my knowledge (gained from Italian friends and Quattroroute magazine) that FIAT designed the diesel engines and GM the petrol motors. So, for instance, the 1.3MJT and 1.9MJT engines were disigned by FIAT and GM had the right to use them. However, the 105 version of the 1.3 will not be available to Vauxhall/Opel nor will the 190bhp version of the 1.9. GM, on the other hand has made certain petrol engines for FIAT group to use. The 2.2 JTS in the Alfa 159 is a GM design, as is the 3.2 V6 in other models such as the 166 and Brera. There has been some falling out as FIAT have told GM the 2.4 5-cyl diesel won't be made for them. Up till the agreement between them,the only diesels used by GM were the old 1.7 which has been around since the first of the front drive Cavaliers (as a 1.6), the 2.0 & 2.2 di s and the big old Isuzu which I think went in the Signum for a while. The reason with all those engines around that GM went to FIAT was because they were all rubbish. Not economical enough, poor performance and a general savageing by the press. jug, you were also right that the deal saved FIAT a lot of money and kept them from being taken over and probably broken up as a group. It may be interesting to note that GM will shortly have a new large diesel coming out and FIAT will have a 1.6. The business of component sharing is a complicated one and is very widespread. If you look back to the Alfa 164, FIAT Croma (mk1), Lancia Thema, and Saab 9000, they all had the same platform and basic structure, but with different engines and the new FIAT 500 shares its platform with the new Ford Ka, not to mention Ford using some diesels made by Citroen/Peugeot. Sorry this was a bit long, most of my replies are.

fiat were definately responsible for the development work of the JTD head, the JTD was first released in 1997 on the alfa 156, 3 years before the start of the GM/Fiat collaboration.

Thanks for the info fellas; I knew the FF wouldn't let me down (y)

Do you think Vauxhall Astras / Vectras will come with suit jacket hooks in the back in the future? Or maybe a tie rack in the boot! :yum:

Well I never! Really got it covered, haven't they! Damn things are always too close for comfort round the back of the old Fiat workhorse, although having said that I wouldn't mind giving the CDTI a bit of a blast around :p

I think Fiat actually invented the common rail diesel engine. For a long time the French were known for their diesel engines but I think it's Fiat and associated brands that take the crown now.

Don't forget that FIAT were the first company to feature a direct injection diesel in a passenger car (Croma MK1) and invented the concept of common rail injection as a way of allowing sufficiently high pressure in the fuel lines to get the performance/economy they needed. They then (very sensibly) handed over much of the development work to Bosch and it became a collaborative venture.

I have the use of a 1.9 cdti Vectra whilst my Stilo is at the dealers. The engine is delightful, if anything it is as fast if not faster than my re-mapped 1.9JTD. People go on about the Stilo handling but I had nowhere near the confidence in this Vectra than I do with my Stilo on the usual route home. Great engine, poor ride.

Just as a side bar when talking about biiiiiig truck engines, IVECO was formed when FIAT's truck arm decided to put all their heavy truck divisions together in one semi-stand alone group. These makes included: FIAT, O.M. and Lancia in Italy, (hands up all those who knew Lancia made 44tonne wagons) Magirus Deutz in Germany and Unic in France. Later on, in the early '90's, I think, they also bought Pegaso of Spain. The story goes that while looking through the books after buying Pegaso, they discovered they had also bought Seddon-Atkinson in Oldham, who they had never heard of. During this latter period all the truck makers were going berzerk for more power and IVECO trumped the lot (almost) by making a 17-litre! V8 which made over 500bhp.

People go on about the Stilo handling but I had nowhere near the confidence in this Vectra than I do with my Stilo on the usual route home. Great engine, poor ride.
every vectra model ever made has had that problem, it is traditionally the main advantage of owning a mondeo. with a vectra you point it in the right direction and hope, which is pretty scary.

Last edited:
Back