Technical 2006 fiat panda (188) starter motor relay switch.

Currently reading:
Technical 2006 fiat panda (188) starter motor relay switch.

Lemonlion

Location of this please, (preferably with picture please?) Need to test if is the relay or starter. Have a new battery in but when trying to start it sounds grrrrrrrrr or trrrrrrrr.

Location of this please, (preferably with picture please?) Need to test if is the relay or starter. Have a new battery in but when trying to start it sounds grrrrrrrrr or trrrrrrrr.
If the noise is coming from the starter then the relay has sent power to trigger it.
Assuming the engine isn't seized i.e. with ignition off it is possible to physically turn the engine by hand or a spanner.
If that is the case then I would check main heavy battery leads to the starter and also the battery earthing points, making sure they are clean and giving a good electrical connection.
Generally if someone tries to start it a few times and then you put your hand on the leads, connections and the starter it's self, the offending article will be warm to the touch, due to the heat caused by the high electrical resistance.
Always assuming your new battery is in good fully charged condition.:)

If the noise is coming from the starter then the relay has sent power to trigger it.
Assuming the engine isn't seized i.e. with ignition off it is possible to physically turn the engine by hand or a spanner.
If that is the case then I would check main heavy battery leads to the starter and also the battery earthing points, making sure they are clean and giving a good electrical connection.
Generally if someone tries to start it a few times and then you put your hand on the leads, connections and the starter it's self, the offending article will be warm to the touch, due to the heat caused by the high electrical resistance.
Always assuming your new battery is in good fully charged condition.:)
It starts when given a slight push, think that helps the starter to kick. Will take it off and take it for service. Prop just needs other brushes.

2006 fiat panda (188) starter motor relay switch.​

There isn’t one ?

As per fiats description

“starter motor consists of a direct current motor supplied by the battery and an excitation solenoid.”

The solenoid is bolted to the side of the stater and is supplied with 12V. If memory serves me right a thin brown cable.

Is it a turn noise or a quick clicking noise you can hear ?

2006 fiat panda (188) starter motor relay switch.​

There isn’t one ?

As per fiats description

“starter motor consists of a direct current motor supplied by the battery and an excitation solenoid.”

The solenoid is bolted to the side of the stater and is supplied with 12V. If memory serves me right a thin brown cable.

Is it a turn noise or a quick clicking noise you can hear ?
It is a quick clicking sound

Not enough current getting to the starter

The solenoid is bouncing on and off

battery is the most likely
Faulty cables, dirty terminals or earths

Does it work okay with a jump start

Not enough current getting to the starter

The solenoid is bouncing on and off

battery is the most likely
Faulty cables, dirty terminals or earths

Does it work okay with a jump start

Yes drives smooth. No probs.

So it starts with these ?

Battery most likely

Lead to starter motor

Earth under the clutch slave cylinder

Dirty terminal leads

904516B4-31B9-4B5E-BD9B-C5EB21A5F23A.jpeg

Thanks guys. I will take car to an auto electrian on monday to have it inspected. Will post findings

Thanks guys. I will take car to an auto electrian on monday to have it inspected. Will post findings
Hi You guys, sorry it took solong to come back. Was down and out. Had the car by auto electrician and it was indeed the ground wire to engine block like you guys suggested. Took another wire and looped it to another spot on engine. Now starts like new. Thanks a mil all.

Back