Technical 2005 Fiat punto - unplugged sensors

Currently reading:
Technical 2005 Fiat punto - unplugged sensors

AnnieB47

Hi. my son recently purchased a punto from a used car sales garage. The car had an MOT the before the purchase (carried out by the sellers MOT garage) and stopped working on the day after purchase.
Upon inspection by RAC the car has a failed cam belt with a previously failed cam belt tensioner and 2 unplugged sensors inside the engine (which we can only assume the garage unplugged). My question is does anyone know what the sensors are to, would they prevent any warning lights appearing?

Attachments

• F8D3C964-239D-42A8-A6E0-C1D4DDF4A5F0.jpeg
    F8D3C964-239D-42A8-A6E0-C1D4DDF4A5F0.jpeg
    844.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 1EB2CC02-C0C7-47C1-BD58-2AB95CBDCCEA.jpeg
    1EB2CC02-C0C7-47C1-BD58-2AB95CBDCCEA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
Oh no.

There are no warning sensors for a cam belt about to fail.

If bought from a dealer you have consumer rights.

Find out what your rights are , citizens advice website for instance. With any luck you will also find advice how to put in writing to the dealer demanding your money back.

Get a written report from RAC what they found-that's gold to you.

Don't get side tracked by any unplugged plugs.

You may get help from local trading standards too. Google trading standards and there is a .gov website to find your nearest.

Hi @AnnieB47

What punto is this..??

a cambelt is essentially a major failure

But there are several engine options over the Punto range

Some need @£60 in parts.. others will need Hundreds :-(

Basic question.. is the oil filler a screw on cap..or a rubber bung ?
It’s the type that requires £££ so we’ve been told. Car is now irreparable due to its value

Oh no.

There are no warning sensors for a cam belt about to fail.

If bought from a dealer you have consumer rights.

Find out what your rights are , citizens advice website for instance. With any luck you will also find advice how to put in writing to the dealer demanding your money back.

Get a written report from RAC what they found-that's gold to you.

Don't get side tracked by any unplugged plugs.

You may get help from local trading standards too. Google trading standards and there is a .gov website to find your nearest.
Apparently cam belt isn’t covered on MOT so I don’t know how we can get refund. Garage are not cooperating in any way. They told my son he shouldn’t have bought the car in the first place 💁‍♀️
I’ve attached RAC report (which mentions unplugged sensors) and previous MOT - there’s something on previous MOT which might be linked to the sensors it says; “engine mil inoperative or indicates a malfunction”

Attachments

• 91C5E998-A17A-47C0-A54B-6112DC7EBA87.png
    91C5E998-A17A-47C0-A54B-6112DC7EBA87.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • 9307C37C-44B8-4154-8607-DCB39B381576.jpeg
    9307C37C-44B8-4154-8607-DCB39B381576.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
Cam belts have a service life, in Years and Miles

What does the vehicles history say about its last change?

Again..how the car was paid for can effect your leverage .
It turns out he paid for it by bacs straight into a bank account of an employee at the garage.
The car should have a new cam belt every 5 years according to a mechanic I spoke with today but I’m not sure if the garage should’ve replaced it? They told us they would Mot and service it prior to sale but obv haven’t as cam belt would’ve been inspected as part of service

Sorry, that sounds very shifty

IGNORE THE MOT.. ( not related to your issue)

The car ..like a used purchase from any shop should be 'fit for purpose'..

'Sold for Spares' is the only phrase that gets a Garage out of mechanical liability

Yes.. things can fail prematurely.. but the garage should NOT wash their hands of it.

Sorry, that sounds very shifty

IGNORE THE MOT.. ( not related to your issue)

The car ..like a used purchase from any shop should be 'fit for purpose'..

'Sold for Spares' is the only phrase that gets a Garage out of mechanical liability

Yes.. things can fail prematurely.. but the garage should NOT wash their hands of it.
It was defo not sold for spares. It was his 1st car and they knew that

For anyone Reading this breakdown was on 12th march2023
Original poster states son purchased car the previous day

I have pictures of the dealer plates in the car when he test drove it. It wasn’t advertised anywhere it was on the garage forecourt
Get in touch with your
Local Trading Standards

It sounds pretty suspect.. trying to dodge legal obligations.. by taking the money that way

Be prepared for bad news though..
At 18 years in service there is some justification for their 'no warranty implied or given ' approach

OP you really should read the link I posted- it will really help you, there is even a helpline phone number .
Great that a receipt was given and kept if it has the dealers details on.
I am not sure "sold as seen no warranty given" gets them off the hook- but you need to find out for yourself by following the link and ringing the helpline.
We can offer advice but we can't act for you.

Very best wishes
Jack

Follow the link ,You must act now.
If your rights(your sons rights) have been breached,
The dealer could be trying to run down the 30days you have from purchasing the used car to handing it back for a full refund.

Back