Technical 2003 Fiat Ducato 2.5L Diesel Burning Rubber Smell when the engine is under load

Currently reading:
Technical 2003 Fiat Ducato 2.5L Diesel Burning Rubber Smell when the engine is under load

rasmith130464

Hi all,

Could I please enquire as to whether anyone else in the membership has had the issue where a burning rubber smell becomes evident when the engine is working hard, for example a long climb up a hill or a long incline on the motorway, etc. Normal everyday level driving is fine, no smell.

Mysterious as to the cause, I cannot see any obvious root cause for it.

Is it non turbo?
What’s it’s mileage like?
Dose it produce smoke under the load?
What’s it like on start up?
It could be just old or sooted up…
The 2.5 sofim engine is generally considered unburstable…it can plod along all day and all night, up n down Dale without a murmer. Yes its underpowered by todays standard, and yes, on steep inclines or long ones you have to drop it down a peg or two, but it just keeps going

Is it non turbo?
What’s it’s mileage like?
Dose it produce smoke under the load?
What’s it like on start up?
It could be just old or sooted up…
The 2.5 sofim engine is generally considered unburstable…it can plod along all day and all night, up n down Dale without a murmer. Yes its underpowered by todays standard, and yes, on steep inclines or long ones you have to drop it down a peg or two, but it just keeps going
Hi,

it is the turbo version, mileage is low 43k, no smoke under load, start up and normal driving is absolutely fine. it is 2003 but that's all really.
the last time I experienced it, was on a long incline on hills in north Wales, but also a long incline on the motorway in 5th gear trying to maintain 60mph.

I know that it’s low mileage, but is that you using it little or the previous owner?
If you don’t experience a loss of power at the same time then it’s doubtful it’s the turbo, having said that, with little use you can get ‘oil burn off’ as seals etc don’t get the lubrication from use. Likewise with worn engine components wehn worked hard, I had a MK1 Tipo that did that.
If nothings obviously contacting/rubbing like pipes/hoses and the generator belts fine and there’s no plastic panels or similar contacting hot engine parts/exhaust etc I’d get someone to stick it on a ramp so you can be sure

As it only happens uphill I would look at clutch slip maybe due to oil contamination.

Just an afterthought not familiar with this model can the clutch be adjusted, seems low mileage for clutch slip but if the previous owner was in the habit of resting his foot on the clutch pedal that would cause it.

The vehicle is an enigma. It could be an x230 with cable operated clutch, but the 2.5L engine was not offered after 1998. So perhaps a late conversion/registration? Alternatively 2003 would suggest an x244 with hydraulic clutch, and JTD engine with electronic control.

Clutch slip is more a burnt nutmeg smell
It’s why I didn’t think that route…

I would say clutch slip smells more like toasted gochugaru than nutmeg with perhaps a hint of freshly ground nigella seeds.

But a slipping clutch that is burning off oil contamination smells like rubber, might be worth checking the auxiliary belt is in good order and correctly tightened first.

I would say clutch slip smells more like toasted gochugaru than nutmeg with perhaps a hint of freshly ground nigella seeds.

But a slipping clutch that is burning off oil contamination smells like rubber, might be worth checking the auxiliary belt is in good order and correctly tightened first.
Sarky git 😉 nutmeg and dark chilli chocolate, and a pinch, a pinch mind, of coriander
Yup, if it’s burning off oil, but I think you’d notice that on pulling off, as well as steep drags, under load

As I said probably worth checking out the auxiliary belt it may be slipping under load, are there any oil stains on the bottom of the bell housing?

Have seen many clutch slips that only occur on long uphill climbs, it can occur when in top gear on motorways between 40-60 with foot on the floor and can be intermittent lasting a long time before it starts to slip properly.

I cant really imagine what else would smell of rubber burning that would only occur when engine is under heavy load.

Well I am going for my dinner now Chinese with grated clutch plate and steamed brake shoes.

Good luck with it.

As I said probably worth checking out the auxiliary belt it may be slipping under load, are there any oil stains on the bottom of the bell housing?

Have seen many clutch slips that only occur on long uphill climbs, it can occur when in top gear on motorways between 40-60 with foot on the floor and can be intermittent lasting a long time before it starts to slip properly.

I cant really imagine what else would smell of rubber burning that would only occur when engine is under heavy load.

Well I am going for my dinner now Chinese with grated clutch plate and steamed brake shoes.

Good luck with it.
My old 131 used to have clutch slip uphills, very ‘Smokey’ on hardknot pass, it was the rear oil seal, steep inclines, leak onto clutch housing, spin out onto bell housing and straight onto exhaust…but that was rwd…I swear it was like bbq asbestos with Worcestershire sauce

Back