Technical 2 ECU or not 2 ECU!

Currently reading:
Technical 2 ECU or not 2 ECU!

Dave9129

Hi, All. I'm new to the forum but have been reading for a few weeks. Always seems to be some good advice and that's just what I need.

I learnt to drive in a Panda 1000s 20 years ago and then had an Uno 45 for years. Now I have a 93 Uno Start with the ECU which I bought on impulse after my other car was written off but would like to go back to a Panda. What does the forum think about these units? Are you just better off with something more simple that you can tinker with a bit? (I remember always travelling with a bike pump to blow out the carb jets when they got blocked!!)

The other query is about catalitic converters and unleaded petrol. When did they come in and what effect did they have on the engine? I seem to remember my 45 would run on either.

Look forward to hearing your ideas. Dave

Panda/Uno or any FIRE engine with injection is, I would say, more comfortable to drive (less thing to do to go...:) BUT if something goes wrong you can't fix too much on you own:( and because it's 93 you have to pass more restricted emission test, so cat and lambda must be in good condition...
That's my opinion...:)

Hi and welcome....I've spoke on the forum about injection vs carb pandas and for wot its worth....the injection is easier to live with but seems to lack the revvy punch of the carb...just my opinion..

kev

The requirement for cats kicked in August '92 so the last you can mess about with without falling foul of emissions is a J plate. Unleaded cannot be used with a cat so that's effectively when it started to disappear.
on the cat vs carb debate, yes I like a cat because it is simpler to fix and generally the rest of the engine bay has less to go wrong, ECU control means sensors everywhere:mad:
however, on a really cold morning I will as often as not walk straight past the Panda and hop in the 'sensible' Punto as it makes a lot less fuss when you wake it up....
nice having both really.

If a carb is well set up I think it's a pretty good drive. I got the fuel injection system of damon (pandasport our Mod) to retro fit to my 1991 carb car but then a member on here recommended that I get the carb set up on a rolling road (we'd been tinkering with different engine sizes and manual/electric fuel pumps and rather upset the natural balance of the whole thing) and I'm now really impressed with the quite smooth running and even in this really cold weather she is going great!
So I'll be sticking to carbs for the moment!

Famous last words probably.... :rolleyes:

BTW, most of us like Uno's too ;)

Jim

Last edited:
As the OP seems to have prior knowledge of cars and carbs/etc. I would say go for a carb model. If clean and you have no air leaks, the carbs have no "problems" per se. I have had no trouble with mine in the cold weather as long as the correct choke amount is chosen. If you like to tinker, injection is clearly out of the window. Carb models are better on a budget as there are less parts, the parts are cheaper and can be fixed more easily.

One other thing is that the "Super" models ceased to be made when the injection came in and they never made one as "luxury" as that again in the UK. A 1000 Super is the finest Panda to live with IMO and I've had most models and editions of a mk2 Panda.

P.S. All mk2 FIRE-engined Pandas were designed for unleaded AFAIK.

Hi and welcome....I've spoke on the forum about injection vs carb pandas and for wot its worth....the injection is easier to live with but seems to lack the revvy punch of the carb...just my opinion..

kev

I've never driven a 999cc injection, only the 1108cc Auto's, so I supose it the engine size that makes them better and me disagree with the above.

Jon.

Thanks everyone for your input. I hear the view that the ECU can run more smoothly but I think I'm leaning towords a carb model that I can tinker with and avoid the possibility of all those sensors and electrical nonsense going up in smoke! Looking forword to finding something suitable. until then I'm going to check the timing and change the CV joint on the Uno... joy! Dave

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your input. I hear the view that the ECU can run more smoothly but I think I'm leaning towords a carb model that I can tinker with and avoid the possibility of all those sensors and electrical nonsense going up in smoke! Looking forword to finding something suitable. Dave

Back