Technical 1st gear

Currently reading:
Technical 1st gear

ive had the same problem, my mechanic told me its because when you stop the links arnt quite in line, thats why they say put it in 2nd and then try again.

same dramas here. It's not really major, you just have to force the bugger in. It helps if your used to using the gearbox on military DAF 4 ton trucks though!

If it doesn't want to go in, I just take it back out and try a little bit more forcefully:rolleyes:

yeah thats wot i do :) second nature now its part of the punto driving experience :D not all gears only when im going into 1st

i think he may mean when stationary it's not going in doubleing it is fine if your just coming to a stop or still moving

i have to double second when it's cold but otherwise it's fine

first sometimes sticks when stationary but best select any other gear you fancy then try again as selecting something else will just move the shafts a little

or select neutral and lift the clutch for a second and try again

really you should never select first when moving anyway

Have you tried putting in fresh gearbox oil? Fiat recommend this is done every 90,000 miles which is dumb. Quite a few Punto owners have simply changed the gearbox oil and after a few miles everything is OK.

I'm wondering if some gear selection problems could be caused by dodgy engine mounts? If the engine moves a bit under heavy braking (like when approaching a roundabout or junction), then the selector linkage may be a little out of line?

I just got my Punto about a month ago, its a MK2 Sporting and first is a proper pig for me sometimes, i got told it was just how the car is, when i'm coming to a stop changing into first is my problem.

I just got my Punto about a month ago, its a MK2 Sporting and first is a proper pig for me sometimes, i got told it was just how the car is, when i'm coming to a stop changing into first is my problem.

you should only select first when stationary
almost all cars are like this

fiat began to use twin ring syncros to improve this but it's still bad practise

nowadays though going into 1st before stopping is a habit you've got to lose as you're taught to get into 1st before having stopped, which is stupid considering cars have trouble going into 1st even crawling

when i was tout to drive my instructor insisted that if i knew i was going to have to stop no matter what gear i was in i should dip the cltch stop with the brakes and then either select first or apply the handbrake depending how long i was going to be stopped for

now i will change down the gears well before i have to stop aiming to roll to a stop before i have to use the brakes or otherwise change down wile braking double de clutching into second and stopping before i ever try for first

unless car is warm in which caseit will go into second fine

even when warm i still double de clutch as much as posible simply to save wear on the box and smooth out driving

k i noticed this is what i do if i cant get into gear when stationary clutch down push into 1st, if it wont go i lift clutch slightly and it goes in

littlepip17 said:
now i will change down the gears well before i have to stop aiming to roll to a stop before i have to use the brakes

i do this also, i think i started it to annoy the neds(chavs) trying to drive up my **** :p

Last edited:
k i noticed this is what i do if i cant get into gear when stationary clutch down push into 1st, if it wont go i lift clutch slightly and it goes in

i do this also, i think i started it to annoy the neds(chavs) trying to drive up my **** :p

you should never never lift the clutch wile your selecting a gear heavy engine at one end road connected to the other half selected gear = mangled syncro ring honestly if someone showed you a box in bits and you could see what bit you were putting force onto you'd never do it again

if your stationary just pull back to second and try again

or select neutral lift clutch for a second then try again works every time try it

just simply put it in neutral as it will be when you cat get into 1st and lift the clutch then push it back down and it will slip in nicely, i have this problem too. easily solved, it makes for a smoother transmission if you lift the clutch while in neutral between al gears.

for those of s who have not yet masteres double de clutching :p

you should never never lift the clutch wile your selecting a gear heavy engine at one end road connected to the other half selected gear = mangled syncro ring honestly if someone showed you a box in bits and you could see what bit you were putting force onto you'd never do it again

if your stationary just pull back to second and try again

or select neutral lift clutch for a second then try again works every time try it

OR alternitavely make like a squaddie and use brute strength. :devil:

Not that I do...

Honest....:eek:

Back