Technical 1998 Sei Sport Gearbox issues

Currently reading:
Technical 1998 Sei Sport Gearbox issues

SycoSeicento

Ok, so we all know whats it like to drive these lil puppies, fun as heck :). But i have had no end of trouble with it which i am afraid to say is typically italian! (in terms of cars of course)
So anyway a while ago a lost 3rd gear, it will go into gear but as soon as i come off the clutch it pops out, as if there is no teeth left on the cog :S, at first i thought it might be alignment but by the feel of it, it feels pretty stripped lol. I continued to drive it with the idea in my head to drop another gearbox into it. but time and money prevented me from doing so and the box deteriorated fast! i lost 4th gear before long and all my other gears became seriously crunchy i kept adjucting my clucth higher and higher to try and counter this temporarily but i cant actually drive it with it any higher!
So i parked the badboy on my driveway to await repair, only to find one morning someone had smashed the **** into with a bat or something!! some serious dents and no back window..... nice eh! ****ing vandals.

Now my actualy question to you is i if any of you guys have seis for breaking i could use a fiat broom yellow full tailgate with working window wiper motor (preferably the abarth with spoiler but i am not too bothered), a gearstick with the lift reverse components, a front passenger side seat rail set, and somewhere to recondition or supply and fit a recondition box (as i don't have the time with my new job).
The most important things are what i need to get it back on the road (tailgate and box) but details on all these would be helpful!

Thanks for your time and thanks in advance for any advice!!

!peace!

3RD gear goes when oil gets low in gearbox, or quality of oil is poor, i.e never been changed. 4th probably went not long after due to same thing, has oil ever been changed or even level checked?

I know someone who managed to strip 3RD gear in a perfectly good box which he thought he could drive 3 miles to garage to buy gearbox oil for it as it was low after he fitted it to his car.............

I think you will find its not an Italian thing but an any car thing that gearbox's don't last long with low oil levels.

Its the hubs that will be stripped, not the actual gears, and 3rd and 4th are on the same shaft, so thats why they went one after the other.

Once you've got bits of metal floating about in the gearbox, they will grind everything else every time they turn.

Cheers

PD

where abouts you based Syco?

Sports Car Breakers at Newbridge outside Edinburgh have about 5 or 6 complete cars- engines/glass/tailgates/'boxes...

Back