Technical 1997 Brava 1.4SX Starting problem.

Currently reading:
Technical 1997 Brava 1.4SX Starting problem.

J-OK

In the last couple of days, I have had problems getting started. The engine seems sluggish to turn over and if it can't start after the first couple of cranks, it's a no go.

When it does start, it runs fine, no problems at all. When I finish my journey, switch off, and try to start it again, no go, it won't turn over fast enough and gives up the ghost after 2 or 3 cranks. If I leave it overnight, it will start reasonably ok.

I thought at first it was just the battery, although the green indicator shows it's fine. Tried a brand new Bosch battery, exactly the same problem. It's as if there is a massive power drain when trying to start.

All connections appear to be tight. My next move is to swap out the starter motor with a spare one I have. I'll then get the original tested and refurbished.

Is there anything else that I should be looking for? Any help would be appreciated. I hate being without the motor at this time of year.

Cheers Slipstream.

Got Quackfit to do a check on the battery this morning, all ok. Checked earths etc. all ok. Swapped out the starter motor and away we jolly well go! The original was obviously a duffer.

Thanks for the input.

Back