YvFT3Oc.jpg

Panda (Classic) 1994 Fiat Panda CLX "Erwin"

Introduction

Hi all, it was true what they said, once you start, you just won't stop. The Panda Classic Bug.

Today, I obtained this 1994 Fiat Panda CLX. I have nicknamed this one Erwin, because of the number plate. EDIT: After speaking to Jen, the previous owner before the one I got the car off of, I have decided to re-name the car back to how it was always named - Chaz :)
YsL6Lrv.jpg

Erwin has a 999cc engine with fuel injection (and a suspected head gasket failure :p). The condition of the car is okay, but it is starting to rust in the normal areas (door corners, rear arch, and the panel at the back where the boot lock is mounted), it was last on the road a couple of years ago. I bought the car as it has a few bits I want - namely the wheels and the bonnet vent, though a few other bits may benefit Pandino. The idea isn't to make it a complete parts car though, it may be good enough as a basis for somebody's project?
YvFT3Oc.jpg

I've spoken to Liquid Knight who is looking for a Panda for his engine swap, and this may be a good car to use for that. Unfortunately it's quite a trek with the distance between us, so the fate of the car is still to be determined. We shall see what happens :D It will likely live on my drive for a couple of weeks, but I soon need to find Erwin a new home as I cannot afford insurance on another car and my father wants the space back for his Focus (y)

If anyone is interested then let me know, hopefully I can sort something with Knight but the distance could be an issue. Anyway, one more picture... welcome to the forum family, Erwin :)
iDW3i0W.jpg

firstcar-Y10 I haven't checked yet but there's apparently no spacers on Erwin - I suppose it's advisable to get 5mm spacers for the rears with the Uno Turbo wheels?
Oh, it's Chas.
If you're taking parts you might want to have a really good look over if it's Jen's old car. Might be some really good bits on there. The wheels are slightly different to mine, if the offset is different you might be OK or have a look at how they're fitted on this car if there are no spacers, it only takes a light application of the grinder to the front corner of the axle and you're OK.
Here's a starting point for you looking for more info:
https://www.fiatforum.com/panda-classic/189994-lowering-panda-18-seconds.html

Oh, it's Chas.
If you're taking parts you might want to have a really good look over if it's Jen's old car. Might be some really good bits on there. The wheels are slightly different to mine, if the offset is different you might be OK or have a look at how they're fitted on this car if there are no spacers, it only takes a light application of the grinder to the front corner of the axle and you're OK.
Here's a starting point for you looking for more info:
https://www.fiatforum.com/panda-classic/189994-lowering-panda-18-seconds.html
Nice to know its previous name and owner - I did find the name Jen while looking at the photography page that is plastered all over this CLX, I did send a message to the page last night to see if I could get some details on it as well!

Definitely some very good bits. The inside of this car is full to the brim with parts. I will check how the wheels are fitted soon, I'd quite like the lowering springs if they're decent still as well so I'll have a good look around when I get chance...
Oooh, including an 1108 engine. Just spotted the ad from last year. Think the spare head she mentioned there is the one I've just fitted to Roofus last night coincidentally.
https://www.fiatforum.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=33859
Thanks for the ad link also, didn't find that when I was trying to find info. So far, I've found two gearboxes inside and in the boot there is what looks to be the spare head you mention, with a camshaft that has "4x4" imprinted into it. Is this anything to do with the 4x4 cams people mention that gives the 999cc fire a very small improvement? :p
Yep, Jeni's old car. Wheel are 13" so pretty rare.
Thanks for the info, is there much more to know about the Uno Turbo wheels? I know they are quite rare and I've always liked the look of them which is why I got them :)
I remeber seeing this car at Brooklands years ago. Im sure it had gold alloys on and I fell in love, looked so clean back then. Looking a little tatty now but sure itll shine again (y)
This car was a looker a few years ago by the looks and sounds of it, real shame that this CLX is looking so sorry for itself now, but I am confident in trying to find someone to undertake it as a project rather than parting it out. It would be a shame to have to do that!

looks like a cool little panda that.. i guess it depends how rusty it is, spit and polish and it would look immense as is.
Lots of bird poo right now but with a good wash I'm sure it would come out quite nice. Sort out the rust and the head gasket and you've got yourself a winner.

Everything is there to do a complete head rebuild, while I may be able to do that I wouldn't be able to spend the money on the rust repair and the insurance afterwards so I hope I can find someone willing to take Erwin on! Would be great to see him back on the road!

Has anybody messaged Jen to say it's been saved? She will be very pleased!
I've talked to her :) I messaged her photography site when I received the car and I've since been chatting to her about the history, also big thanks to kolza who posted onto the Fiat Panda Classic Facebook about the car being saved which is how I got speaking to Jen on Facebook!
Nice motor, clean it up, fix it and shift it. Don't break it.
The whole point of buying it was to avoid having Chaz being crushed, and so that I could get those Uno Turbo wheels I always wanted - luckily I have a couple people interested in Chaz already, so I'll see what happens, but I sure do hope either myself or someone else can save it (y)

One person interested is my cousin, and he'd buy the car off me if it were to be fixed. I should be able to fix the engine myself, it's the rust that I worry about at the minute :eek:

It is indeed, but if your Panda is a Fizz I believe I'm correct in saying it'll already have a 4x4 cam in it.
I believe you may be right there. If my Fizz is a '93 and Chaz is a '94 then they are both late GB ones anyway, so both should have that cam in it.

Chaz turns over but doesn't start. The battery is suspected to be a bit crap, it doesn't want to do much even after a good lot of charging so a bit of new fuel and a set of jump leads might get him going again in the meantime. If Chaz starts then I may get the gasket and head change done. The rust is still a bit of an issue and I'm not sure if I'll have the time/room (or money if done by someone else) to get that done but it really depends on how far it has gone.

I'll keep y'all posted on what happens next!

Vern and I are hoping to work some magic on the Uno Turbo wheels so that they can be fitted to Pandino at some point.

Some new petrol in Chaz's tank and a set of jump leads later, Chaz finally started up for the first time in a while yesterday. It took a little while for the fuel to get into the system but Chaz started up fine after a bit of going. Forgive me recording portrait, but here's a video:

Now, I'm currently looking for anyone who may want to give Chaz a new home. I can't keep the car for long and I can't afford insurance even if the car was fixed. Chaz needs some time spent on rust repair (not sure how it would effect MOT as it hasn't thus far), a gasket replacement on the engine, and probably a new battery as the one in there didn't do much other than ancillaries until jump leads were involved. You can see that Chaz starts up though, so once the gasket change is done, this is a good one.

If you're interested then please send me a forum message, or message me via Facebook if you know me from the Panda Classic UK section there.

I'm still deciding exactly what I am going to be doing with Chaz but someone is going to have to take it off me at some point so if that person may be you then send me that message, cheers :)

Mr MOT Man has been around to have a look. He reckons about £300 in welding underneath is needed, in the sill areas and belt mount areas, but else-wise he thinks it looks okay. On top of those costs, there would need to be the MOT, new bulbs where needed, a new battery, needs a coolant cap, and anything else that may need tidying/fixing for the MOT. Not to mention the head gasket change which was quoted at £300 but I can do that myself for a lot cheaper.

The options are there. Either sell before fix or after. If I do the fix then I'd want to be sure someone would take him though. Again, if anyone is interested then pop me a PM.

certainly will be much harder to shift it without mot and needing welding and a head gasket that a running and driving car. I don't mind coming and helping swap head gasket if you get the gaskets ;)
I might even have a rad cap you can have - prob gonna fit a punto one to mine as the engine has a higher pressure cap than the panda and not long ago bought a new cap for mine.
Just give us a shout if you want me to come help and will try sort a time i can come over wiltshire.

certainly will be much harder to shift it without mot and needing welding and a head gasket that a running and driving car. I don't mind coming and helping swap head gasket if you get the gaskets ;)
I might even have a rad cap you can have - prob gonna fit a punto one to mine as the engine has a higher pressure cap than the panda and not long ago bought a new cap for mine.
Just give us a shout if you want me to come help and will try sort a time i can come over wiltshire.
Totally agreed with the MOT and welding viewpoint. It makes sense to fix it to try and sell it, but the problem is I don't have much money as it is so if nobody bought it I'd be in a bit of trouble :p Maybe if I can get a potential buyer for it then I'll fix it then? Hmm...

I have a gasket set, new timing belt and new head bolts so I can change the head gasket at some point. I didn't know if it was worth doing if I wasn't going to get the welding done though.

Chaz does have lowering springs that I could consider putting on Pandino, so if you were around in Wilts at some point then that may be an option as well. Insurance want £120 extra for the alloys and suspension on Pandino though (n)

Stuff to think about for sure, just not sure what's best to do yet :p I'll have to pop you a message on facebook at some point about it all :)

Sucks to be young sometimes lol.
When it comes to insurance, always :p

If I get some standard springs then I can swap them on and keep the lowered ones as spare for when insurance prices go cheaper for me, or I could just go ahead with it, or just buy new springs when the time comes. Lots of options, I'll see what I'm doing with Chaz first though!

My cousin was interested in buying it if it's fixed but he still needs to pass his test and tell me if he'd still want to buy it/how much for. So that's another option, but that requires waiting on him for now so I'm open to other ideas as well :D

1994 Fiat Panda CLX "Erwin"

Ok look it pretty simple you teach yourself to weld 1st get some help from a panderist It's a resource that forever come in handy it is just about being comfortable and having a good veiw. More tools for the tool box more skills for the enthusiast !!! Come on I know it's in there just needs a prod !!! Sj v

Back