General 1993 Fiat Uno Turbo i.e., a few doubts

Currently reading:
General 1993 Fiat Uno Turbo i.e., a few doubts

Hi guys,

I live in Queretaro, Mexico and I just bought a 1993 Fiat Uno Turbo i.e. I don't think there is any other one in Mexico. It was not sold here back then, and this one was imported by a German, who bought it new in Germany, had it a few years there, and then imported it into mexico, went through a nightmare of paperwork and trials to make it legal and apparently enjoyed it for 20 years. In 1993 he sold it to a guy that had it for a year only and who in turn sold it to a friend of mine who had it for the past 9 years. I am therefore the 4th owner, and the car has 112,000 km.

The car is really very original and appears to be basically correct, however, I have a few doubts about it and I look forward to getting help learning about the car, how to detail it correctly and repair minor troubles and find the missing parts I need for it, like an air cleaner, the rear shelf covering the trunk, and a few more bits.

I am attaching a few exterior pics to start with my exterior doubts, which are the easiest...

Thanks
Victor

Attachments

• 22.02, 1993 Fiat UNO Turbo i.e., vmg (2).JPG
    22.02, 1993 Fiat UNO Turbo i.e., vmg (2).JPG
    304.6 KB · Views: 256
  • 22.02, 1993 Fiat UNO Turbo i.e., vmg (3).JPG
    22.02, 1993 Fiat UNO Turbo i.e., vmg (3).JPG
    312.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 22.02, 1993 Fiat UNO Turbo i.e., vmg (4).JPG
    22.02, 1993 Fiat UNO Turbo i.e., vmg (4).JPG
    302.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 22.02, 1993 Fiat UNO Turbo i.e., vmg (1).JPG
    22.02, 1993 Fiat UNO Turbo i.e., vmg (1).JPG
    293.2 KB · Views: 82
My first doubts have to do with the exterior of the car. First I will say I am a purist and would love to get the car as close as possible to the shape it had when new... so please be patient with me and help me learn about it to do it correctly:

1. Grill emblem. I have seen most Turbo i.e. cars with a black badge stating just that, "Turbo i.e.", but mine sports a blue FIAT badge. Shoudl it have the Turbo i.e. badge?

2. Trunk emblems. Same basic question. My car has a UNO badge on the right side but most cars I have seen say "Uno Turbo i.e.". Should I have that one? On the left side it has a FIAT emblem. Is this correct?

3. Bumpers have a colored trim bar... In my case it looks orange tending to red, while the decal on the sides are red. Should the ones on the bumpers be red also, and could the orange color they have now be because of age? Or are they correct in orange-red?

4. Windows and the metal between them. Windows are very dark. I am not sure if they were supposed to be this way or if they had a tinted decal added from the inside. Also, the metal area between them is covered by a black decal with small white lines, like almost with a texture. Is this correct or should this decal not be there and therefore I should see the body colored metal between them?

Thanks!
Victor

My first doubts have to do with the exterior of the car. First I will say I am a purist and would love to get the car as close as possible to the shape it had when new... so please be patient with me and help me learn about it to do it correctly:

1. Grill emblem. I have seen most Turbo i.e. cars with a black badge stating just that, "Turbo i.e.", but mine sports a blue FIAT badge. Shoudl it have the Turbo i.e. badge?

2. Trunk emblems. Same basic question. My car has a UNO badge on the right side but most cars I have seen say "Uno Turbo i.e.". Should I have that one? On the left side it has a FIAT emblem. Is this correct?

3. Bumpers have a colored trim bar... In my case it looks orange tending to red, while the decal on the sides are red. Should the ones on the bumpers be red also, and could the orange color they have now be because of age? Or are they correct in orange-red?

4. Windows and the metal between them. Windows are very dark. I am not sure if they were supposed to be this way or if they had a tinted decal added from the inside. Also, the metal area between them is covered by a black decal with small white lines, like almost with a texture. Is this correct or should this decal not be there and therefore I should see the body colored metal between them?

Thanks!
Victor
At our dealership a guy we sold one too bought an uno turbo like yours back complaining of rust on his tailgate and was not happy.
We told him it was impossible because the tailgate is fibre glass and the brown stuff he could see was anti rust wax that had got onto the panel from elsewhere

He was relieved

Some pictures of the engine bay would be of interest / value.
Yes, I intend to post pics of everything but was trying to go by areas, not to overload you with my doubts.... I will post a few now...

Last edited:
At our dealership a guy we sold one too bought an uno turbo like yours back complaining of rust on his tailgate and was not happy.
We told him it was impossible because the tailgate is fibre glass and the brown stuff he could see was anti rust wax that had got onto the panel from elsewhere

He was relieved
Really? I just went down to check on my car... it has a metal tailgate? It is a Uno Turbo with original invoice.... so I am not sure what's happening here. It is a 1993 model, in case it makes any difference.

A few more general pics...

21.03, 1993 Fiat Uno Turbo i.e., Victor Hugo Schiavon (24).jpg

Attachments

• 21.03, 1993 Fiat Uno Turbo i.e., Victor Hugo Schiavon (27).jpg
    21.03, 1993 Fiat Uno Turbo i.e., Victor Hugo Schiavon (27).jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 21.03, 1993 Fiat Uno Turbo i.e., Victor Hugo Schiavon (17).jpg
    21.03, 1993 Fiat Uno Turbo i.e., Victor Hugo Schiavon (17).jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 21.03, 1993 Fiat Uno Turbo i.e., Victor Hugo Schiavon (21).jpg
    21.03, 1993 Fiat Uno Turbo i.e., Victor Hugo Schiavon (21).jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 21.03, 1993 Fiat Uno Turbo i.e., Victor Hugo Schiavon (22).jpg
    21.03, 1993 Fiat Uno Turbo i.e., Victor Hugo Schiavon (22).jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 57
You will notice I am missing the air cleaner... and I am not sure what else.

The car is a very good survivor, with original upholstery, carpets, etc. I also think paint is original and the car has not seen any body damage, except for minor dings, that will make me repaint a few of the parts.

It had an ugly radio which I removed already, and I am looking for a correct for the era radio. I understand CD's were already in vogue, so I am thinking of installing one.

I am very happy with the car... but would love to find out details to get it back to as close to original as possible.

Really? I just went down to check on my car... it has a metal tailgate? It is a Uno Turbo with original invoice.... so I am not sure what's happening here. It is a 1993 model, in case it makes any difference.
Yes, looks and feels metal though, maybe we had this only for uk

VIN is ZFA14600009086201

MT - UNO TURBO R/89 (1989-1993)
146.968.2.0 - 1372 TURBO MPI USA'83 3P
Engine: 1254513 Vehicle: 09331724 Manuf. date: 27/1/1993
M1370 USA'83(M2)
P3 PORTE(P3)

The USA 83 may explain some differences but your Uno is a genuine Uno Turbo :)

For you model the front only has:

Uno and FIAT badge (no Turbo / ie one). It may have had a "Racing" and "Antiskid" labels/transfers.

The side trim has Turbo ie which you have.

The tailgate? The last ePER lists NO badging for the rear tailgate.

The tailgate is listed as metal and not plastic/composite.

Hope this helps.

Wow! Thanks, s130!! I am very greatful. Fantastic information, though not all of it I can decipher... so let me ask some questions:

I wonder why the USA'83 spec... if it has to do with the US, no idea why, as the car was bought by a German in Germany. He had it there for several years before he came to live to Mexico and brought the car with him. I guess he really loved his car.

Or perhaps the USA'83 spec" was an Export thing only?

Funny... why would you order a Fiat Turbo i.e. and not have the appropiate emblems to "show it off"?. Before knowing my car was supplied just as it is now, without Turbo emblems, I ordered them... would I be wrong if I install them? Not exactly supplied with MY car but supplied generally in most cars, I assume.

Is my car a "Racing" model, as you describe in the possibility of having that decal?

By the way, when I am trying to get parts, it lists two different Turbo i.e. engines, both 1.4 but with different horsepower. How can I know which one is the one in my car?

Finally, what is an ePER list? You mention that according to it there was NO badging for the rear tailgate.

Thanks again for all your help,
Victor

Finally, what is an ePER list? You mention that according to it there was NO badging for the rear tailgate.

Thanks again for all your help,
Victor
Hi Victor

ePER is the official Fiat Dealer Parts Catalogue.

The Fiat Forum has an earlier version here: http://eper.fiatforum.com/

I'm off to bed now so will have to pick up on your other points later, unless someone beats me to it :)

Reactions: vmg
My biggest doubt would be the lack of rust!!

Very useful!! Thanks!
In answer to your other questions above:

The full list for Uno Turbo models is:

146.728.2.01300 TURBO MPI USA'83 ANTISKID 3P
146.738.2.01372 TURBO MPI ANTISKID 3P
146.768.2.01372 TURBO MPI USA'83 ANTISKID 3P
146.788.2.01372 TURBO MPI ANTISKID 3P RACING
146.928.2.01300 TURBO MPI USA'83 3P
146.938.2.01372 TURBO MPI 3P
146.968.2.01372 TURBO MPI USA'83 3P
146.988.2.01372 TURBO MPI 3P RACING

Yours is the 146.968.2.0 so not the RACING so the racing decal would not apply.

The USA'83 is almost certainly an emissions homologation (cleaner).

ePER does not appear to quote a horse power rating so your only other clue is the Engine Number from you Chassis Plate and 1372cc

Your trim details are:

M1370 USA'83(M2)
P3 DOORS(P3)
Colors/Fabrics list
PAN-160FRONT DOOR PANEL GREY MATERIAL
emaps

SED-160GRAY CLOTH SEAT COVERS
emaps

Reactions: vmg
My biggest doubt would be the lack of rust!!
Not a single particle of it... as far as I can see. Mexico has a lot of bad things... and some great ones like the weather! We do have rain in the summer, perhaps a bit too much, but no snow at all during winter.

I guess I am lucky... no rust, and no body damage.

In answer to your other questions above:

The full list for Uno Turbo models is:

146.728.2.01300 TURBO MPI USA'83 ANTISKID 3P
146.738.2.01372 TURBO MPI ANTISKID 3P
146.768.2.01372 TURBO MPI USA'83 ANTISKID 3P
146.788.2.01372 TURBO MPI ANTISKID 3P RACING
146.928.2.01300 TURBO MPI USA'83 3P
146.938.2.01372 TURBO MPI 3P
146.968.2.01372 TURBO MPI USA'83 3P
146.988.2.01372 TURBO MPI 3P RACING

Yours is the 146.968.2.0 so not the RACING so the racing decal would not apply.

The USA'83 is almost certainly an emissions homologation (cleaner).

ePER does not appear to quote a horse power rating so your only other clue is the Engine Number from you Chassis Plate and 1372cc

Your trim details are:

M1370 USA'83(M2)
P3 DOORS(P3)
Colors/Fabrics list
PAN-160FRONT DOOR PANEL GREY MATERIAL
emaps
SED-160GRAY CLOTH SEAT COVERS
emaps
Thanks a lot, s130!! I have no idea where you get all that information from, but it is fantastic! Really helful.

So, my 146.968.2.0 should be a regular 1.4 Turbo (not Racing), with anti-smog equipment or emissions homologation (probably for export to Germany or other countries)... no idea how you came up with the info on no "Uno Turbo i.e.e" emblems either front or rear... and if I would be wrong installing them... I would think not as many models had it.

I am attaching a pic of the chassis and engine plate, hoping you can tell me a bit more about it.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Victor

Attachments

• 21.03, 1993 Fiat Uno Turbo i.e., Victor Hugo Schiavon (32).jpg
    21.03, 1993 Fiat Uno Turbo i.e., Victor Hugo Schiavon (32).jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 46
Little progress to report on the Turbo i.e.... basically, a visit to my electrician. Now everything works properly! The car is now at the shop to have a full service done... new oil and checking on brakes, etc.

I am evaluating having the car repainted. It still has the original paint, but many dings and just one spot with rust... better correct it now.

Two questions come to mind:

1. Should the car have the black decal betweeen the two side windows, like mine does, or should it be body color?

2. Bumper red line... in my case it is more like a diluted red or pinkish-orange. IS this correct or should it be bright red same as the Turbo signs on the black side bottom moulding?

Thanks,
Victor

Back