Technical 1987 Bertone Fiat X1/9 Head Lights not going on After Lifting up

Currently reading:
Technical 1987 Bertone Fiat X1/9 Head Lights not going on After Lifting up

RadioDjKev

1987 Bertone Fiat X1/9 Head Lights not going on After Lifting up, They lift up, all other lights are working but head lights do not light up...
I do not have the owners manual, or a shop manual.

Is the a US car or UK?
Do your headlights flash main beam when you pull the stalk?
Sidelights come on & headlights pods raise at first position of the main lighting switch ok?

Is the a US car or UK?
Do your headlights flash main beam when you pull the stalk?
Sidelights come on & headlights pods raise at first position of the main lighting switch ok?
Yes they raise up at first position, and all running lights on. high beams work. USA car in California.

Ok that could be one of 4 things....
1. the two 10amp fuses - unlikely but not impossible both have blown but simple to check.
2. the relay E4 (top row, second from right) feeds the high/low steering wheel stalk.
3. oh dear!, the slide main sidelights / headlight switch is a well known weak spot! Can be hard to find one.
4. the high/low steering wheel stalk switch.

All carry the current for the dipped beam headlights and Fiat (in common with most auto manufacturers)
love to cost down every component in the name of profit and these switches are just prone to burning out.

The circuit feed for your headlights comes from the Ign switch I think on a black wire and this feeds 12v to
the slide lighting switch, it too has been known to get fed up with life!

If you can download a wiring diagram and trace power through with a voltmeter, it should get you sorted.
At least the X1/9 doesn't suffer from too many CANbusses!! Better hurry, the nights are drawing in.

Ok that could be one of 4 things....
1. the two 10amp fuses - unlikely but not impossible both have blown but simple to check.
2. the relay E4 (top row, second from right) feeds the high/low steering wheel stalk.
3. oh dear!, the slide main sidelights / headlight switch is a well known weak spot! Can be hard to find one.
4. the high/low steering wheel stalk switch.

All carry the current for the dipped beam headlights and Fiat (in common with most auto manufacturers)
love to cost down every component in the name of profit and these switches are just prone to burning out.

The circuit feed for your headlights comes from the Ign switch I think on a black wire and this feeds 12v to
the slide lighting switch, it too has been known to get fed up with life!

If you can download a wiring diagram and trace power through with a voltmeter, it should get you sorted.
At least the X1/9 doesn't suffer from too many CANbusses!! Better hurry, the nights are drawing in.
Checked the fuses, and relays, tried a few that I know are good. No Luck. The switch seems hard to get out?
I removed the face of the switch and it looks ugly, I cleaned it and reinstalled face. Want to remove switch
but Don't know the trick...Not sure about the steering column switch but the high flash head lights work when I pull it.

Checked the fuses, and relays, tried a few that I know are good. No Luck. The switch seems hard to get out?
I removed the face of the switch and it looks ugly, I cleaned it and reinstalled face. Want to remove switch
but Don't know the trick...Not sure about the steering column switch but the high flash head lights work when I pull it.

Found it, bad head light switch, that slider switch. I removed the face of it again (Do not know how to remove the whole switch)
and jumped a few connections in there, head lights work, high beam and low. It actually looks like the switch is missing 1 of the round spring loaded connectors...I see 3 looks like it would need 4. Just recently purchased the car like this.
Now I need to find a switch.

Thank you for all your help.

Kevin Gerard

Does anyone know where I can find an original 1985, 1986 1987, 88, 89, Bertone x19 Owners manual?

Ok, poor you! that lighting switch problem is soo common. It causes many owners problems for the dipped beam lights.
It is a well known problem and widely discussed one amongst the owners forums.
I went belt and braces to get around this on my car. I fitted 4 battery fed fuses feeding 4 relays. The relays are located, 2 each in the headlamp pods. This way each bulb filament gets its own 12v switched supply, making my H4 headlights as bright as any. The individual fuse & relay ensures 75% headlights availability should any fault / bulb happen. And, your lighting switch, fuse board and Ign switch all benefit from a huge reduction in running current, in addition your headlights are proper bright and not candles!

I changed the connecting position of where the electrical plug plugs into the light switch, so now the head lights go on and up on the first position.

It was the second position of the switch that was not working. Everything works fine now.

Ok so it looks like the headlight power contact just overheated and expired!
You are running the headlights off the sidelight contact in the lighting switch and it will be now
carrying some 12+amps rather than the 2 or 3amps it was previously. What could go wrong!
At least you have found out what it was and have a temporary fix.

Ok so it looks like the headlight power contact just overheated and expired!
You are running the headlights off the sidelight contact in the lighting switch and it will be now
carrying some 12+amps rather than the 2 or 3amps it was previously. What could go wrong!
At least you have found out what it was and have a temporary fix.
Do you know where I could find a glove box door?

Back