Technical 1980 Fiat Spider 2000 with fuel injection is not getting gas.

Currently reading:
Technical 1980 Fiat Spider 2000 with fuel injection is not getting gas.

My 1980 Fiat Spider 2000 stopped running at a stop light yesterday then restarted for a few minutes and I made it to a gas station. I thought I was out of gas and my gauge was not working correctly. But when I filled up it would not restart and I had to get it towed to my house. It really seems like it is not getting gas so I wanted to get some ideas on what to look for. I installed a new gas pump a few years ago and it probably has less than 3000 miles on it but I guess it could have gone bad already. When I crank the car it tries to start but will not turn over. Any helpful ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Also I recently took the car to a mechanic who installed a new water pump and did some break and suspension work. Looking over the engine bay I do not see anything out of place. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Scott Coley

Last edited:
I have had the same problem and I'm still trying to figure it out.

Its the pump, pressure regulator, or a clogged filter. Put a test lite into the inj wire and make sure your injectors are getting signal or you get no fuel. If that, then your problem is electrical, not fuel.

step 1, unplug the power wire on the fuelpump and run power to it directly from the battery. If it comes on and the car runs you have a power problem to your pump (relay?)

if it comes on but does not run the car, you either have no gas to the inj, or no power to the inj.

what have you done to try and isolate the problem?

Back