Ford_Cortina_mk3_2000E.jpg

1974 Ford Cortina V6 Project

Introduction

Roll back the years to 1990 and Chas wasn't into Fiats. He thought they were unreliable rust buckets made of pasta with temperamental electrics (oh how he missed out!) He was a keen follower of car magazines such as Street Machine, Custom Car, Cars and Car Conversion and even Fast Car magazine (long before it became Chav Car :rolleyes:), devouring the articles and stories of people building their own 'Street Rods'. 'Hot Rodding' was still popular, and though he dreamed of owning a big engined Yank muscle car his wages wouldn't stretch that far. Armed with the articles and inspiration from the magazines he decided to build an English equivilent.

It had to have a similar style to that of a late 60's Yank muscle car with the infamous 'Coke bottle' side profile, and that left only two viable options. A Vauxhall FD Victor/ Ventora (rare as fook even back in 1990) or a Mk3 Ford Cortina. Having seen a 3.0 V6 modified Cortina featured in Custom Car, that seemed to be the perfect car to base a project on, especially as with a bit of juggling around many parts/ engines/ gearboxes from bigger Fords could be made to fit quite easily. The idea was it HAD to end up with a big 'V' engine like it's American counterparts, and thanks to the sharing of platforms the Granada V6 could be made to fit using standard parts. A mk3 Cortina it had to be then.

Keeping an eye on the classifieds one turned up locally, a 1974 Cortina 2000E ('E' for 'Executive', it was the top model in the range from 1973 onwards, superceeding the earlier GXL). Price? £275 with about six months MOT. That was a cheap car back in 1990 and the chances of finding an MOT'd mk3 today at that price would be a rare thing indeed!

This is what they looked like new:

Ford_Cortina_mk3_2000E.jpg

But the one I bought on February 17th 1990 didn't look quite as smart as that. It was white, had a 2 litre Pinto and auto box, bits of rust here and there, wood trim, a full length sliding sunroof, seats falling to bits but it still had all the style of a 1970's tank top. Cool! It was just what I wanted! :cool:

Over the next few years (1990 - 93), the car was stripped down, bodywork restored and bits of welding done and then resprayed in Ford Daytona yellow. Back in the late 80's/ early 90's the in colour was white (along with everything colour coded the same - ugh!) and I wanted a colour that was different. It had to be a standard Ford colour suitable for the era (70's) and a colour that wasn't popular at that time in the 90's. Thus I chose Daytona Yellow as it went well with the black vinyl roof and chrome trim. Little did I know that a few years later yellow would come back into fashion :rolleyes: I should've gone with Ford Citrus orange...

A mk5 scrap 2.3 V6 Cortina was bought and stripped of its running gear (mk3, 4 and 5 Cortinas all used the same running gear), which was refurbished and then swapped into my 2000E. This now gave my mk3 2000E the running gear to fit the 2.3 V6. With the 2.3 'Cologne' V6 being from the same family as the 2.8 V6, the bigger 'Cologne' engine would also fit. This was the plan! :devil:

A fire damaged 2.8 mk2 Granda Ghia was bought and stripped for its engine and auto box. The engine was rebuilt by me and I remember spending 3 days alone grinding all the valves in by hand. The whole lot was lovingly painted in Ford blue in keeping with the Ford muscle car tradition.

Gradually the car took shape and finally in late 1993 everything was in place to see if it would run. After much nail biting and worrying, the Cortina's ignition key was turned and after a bit of spluttering she fired up with a growl and settled down to that off-beat engine throb that only a 'V' engine could give. I reckon I was about 90% done on the project and was looking forward to finishing it and getting it on the road.

However, my career as a professional musician took off in 1993 and suddenly I was spending long periods away from home. When I was home I was too knackered to do anything, and before long the Cortina got forgotten about while other pressing matters in life came about.

Fast forward to 1998 and my life was in limbo. My main music career had finished but I was still doing music in another band. In February of 1998 I did some work on the Cortina and started her up. Little did I know how long it would be before I'd get a chance to work on her again.

Then my life changed again. I was spending long periods abroad backpacking, working and travelling. When I did get back to the UK permanently in 2005 I then decided to re-train for a new career and went into full time education. I was the typical skint student and had no inclination to work on the Cortina as there was no way I could afford to put it on the road. I didn't have much time to work on it either as studying took precedence. Again it got left in the council lock up, all on its own and forgotten.

Until now. With my summer break of 2008 approaching I realised that I had to do something with the old girl. Either I sold her, or I got her on the road. I also realised that this would be the last summer break I'd get with this much time to myself. Next year will be my final year and I'll get a shorter break due to longer work placements. The year after that I will be fully qualified and will most probably be working full time. The year after that I am hoping to emigrate, so the Cortina had to be sorted out one way or another this summer. It is a last chance opportunity to finish it off after all these years.

But is it viable? Is it still doable? Does it still have a floor pan? Well, time will tell, which is what this thread is all about...
Oh, come on, some pics would have been nice :p

Monday 16th June 2008:

I go up to the lock-up where my Cortina 2000E 2.8 V6 project has been lying dormant for many years. There were times when I even wondered if it were still there? Had the local Chavs broken in and burnt the garaged down, leaving the Cortina burnt to a crisp?

Well, maybe not. This is what greeted me when I opened the doors to the lock up:

DSCF00433.JPG

DSCF00442.JPG

Not a pretty sight, and my brother in law (whom I share the lock-up with) had been piling junk all over the place. It took about 2 hours of clearing out just to get access to the car. You can also see that the Cortina is missing its grill, lights and front bumper. These were removed a few years ago to keep them out of harms way, and they are safely stored in my loft. At least I think they are...

DSCF00455.JPG

Opening the bonnet and the big 2.8 V6 is still there. Hadn't been started in over 10 years though!

DSCF00472.JPG

Some general views of it hidden in the garage covered in junk:

DSCF00534.JPG

DSCF00524.JPG

DSCF00551.JPG

DSCF00543.JPG

DSCF00561.JPG

A quick cut and polish shows that despite some rust coming back some of the bodywork is still nice and shiny.

DSCF00492.JPG

Here you can see just how dirty/ dusty it has got:

DSCF00503.JPG

DSCF00523.JPG

Here's a view of the interior. The door cards are in great condition, as are the wooden door cappings but sadly the original seats were falling to bits and had to be junked. The seats I fitted in their place are from a mk5 Cortina Ghia, so though they don't quite match they are in keeping with the Cortina luxury theme.

DSCF00251.JPG

Copy_of_DSCF0026.JPG

So this is what I am faced with. I must admit that it doesn't look too promising...

Oh, come on, some pics would have been nice :p

I'm working on it! Pffft! :rolleyes:

:yeahthat:

This sounds like an awesome revival project :D

Time will tell. Will be a great car if I can get it finished, though a shame that it will have a drink problem akin to George Best :p A 2.8 V6 automatic ain't gonna be easy on fuel :eek:

Hi Chas, great to see this has its own thread - the first step towards a restoration success story! :)

I have to say I don't like those grey velour seats - you could afford to make it a bit more hard-core than it ever was, with some black vinyl seats or similar.

But anyway, your first priority is the running gear - the brakes, the suspension I'm guessing - I'm sure you'll have it on the road in a few weeks. Maybe a few localised paint repairs, which won't be too hard since you picked a non-metallic colour. E.g. around the panel edges and the louvres, you should just about get away with polishing off the rust streaks and touching in the edges with a brush. You'll be an expert on rust having owned several Unos, so I dunno why I'm telling you this :p

Any mechanical parts missing?

-Alex

Last edited:
bloody hell does that not bring memories back or what:D....I'm not going to bore you with yesteryear story but i used to work on cars like that, i remember people wanting vinyl roofs, that was deemed pretty cool:cool: back then..the vinyl we used to put on, thinking back was probably pretty crappy but i seem to remember people were more than happy with the work we done:D.....ah the platform shoes, big flares, wide lapels & best of all my very long hair:eek::cry: yes those were the days:cry: aye that's another story;)

vinyl roofed coke bottle......:yum:

1970's. The decade that style forgot? Rubbish! Flares and big lapels are on their way back I tell you! Funny how the mk3 Cortinas were ridiculed for their styling a few years ago and now they're cooler than a polar bear eating an ice cream in the Artic Circle. :cool:

still kick your v6 arse though:p

Three words - "RWD", "V6" and "drift". Let's see your tub do that!

Plus as much as I like the Unos the Cortina kicks arse on the style front every time ;)

wow that brings back memories:)

Good luck with the project & keep us updated(y)

Brings back memories for me too. I've owned it for 18.5 years :eek:

looks in good nick for one of them, sell it though no wast time when there fiats waiting

:rolleyes:

It will be sold eventually. But unless I can get it running and moving again it ain't going anywhere. The Fiats are staying btw ;)

I have to say I don't like those grey velour seats - you could afford to make it a bit more hard-core than it ever was, with some black vinyl seats or similar.

The original seats were covered in a beige fabric (Sahara?) that was crumbling to bits. Same material as the door cards though those have survived very well. Plus the springs had gone and the reclining mechanism was broken. They were scrap.

And get this. I originally had a pair of seats fitted from a mk3 Cortina GT. These were highback '"tombstones", and are now very, very sought after. However, in 2003 I sold them off as I needed the money to go travelling. I had a spare set of seats from a mk5 Cortina Ghia I had and fitted those instead.

If I were to keep the Cortina then I'd buy a set of Granada mk3 leather seats. It's a little known secret that the Cortina runners bolt straight up to them and they fit straight into a mk3/4/5 Cortina! They only came in black/ charcoal though, but the leather can be re-coloured. They come up on Ebay and often only go for about £15. But that's only if I were to keep the Cortina, which is NOT what I'm supposed to be doing. For now though mk5 Ghia seats are good enough for what I need (y)

But anyway, your first priority is the running gear - the brakes, the suspension I'm guessing

All four brakes are seized on, such is the legacy of storing it in a damp lock-up for 10 years. Those need freeing off else the car isn't going anywhere!

The suspension was fully rebuilt between 1991 - 93. New bushes/ ball joints/ grommets etc. and it has never been on the road. It still looks ok!

I'm sure you'll have it on the road in a few weeks.

You're WAY more optimistic than I am!

Maybe a few localised paint repairs, which won't be too hard since you picked a non-metallic colour. E.g. around the panel edges and the louvres, you should just about get away with polishing off the rust streaks and touching in the edges with a brush. You'll be an expert on rust having owned several Unos, so I dunno why I'm telling you this :p

Cosmetics I'm not worrying about at the moment. It's the structure that needs assessing to decide whether it is still structurally sound. And yes, rust streaks can be dealt with quite easily with a bit of T-Cut ;)

Ironically my two Unos have been the most rust free vehicles I've ever owned!

Any mechanical parts missing?

Nope. Whether everything still works is another matter entirely...

bloody hell does that not bring memories back or what:D....I'm not going to bore you with yesteryear story but i used to work on cars like that, i remember people wanting vinyl roofs, that was deemed pretty cool:cool: back then..the vinyl we used to put on, thinking back was probably pretty crappy but i seem to remember people were more than happy with the work we done:D.....ah the platform shoes, big flares, wide lapels & best of all my very long hair:eek::cry: yes those were the days:cry: aye that's another story;)

Time to drag out those MUD and SLADE albums too :slayer:

Sure you don't wanna swap for an Uno rollcage ;) :D

Yes, I'm sure ;)

So whats the plan get it legal and sell it?

Pretty much. It would be nice to actually get it road legal and then drive it. Just so that I can complete the project and enjoy the fruits of my labour before selling, then the funds can go towards year three of my degree.

But the engine note sounds sooooooo sexy. I know I'll want to keep it... :eek:

listen1986uno45s, i wish you all the best with your project, i,m a lot older than you but youre no youngster yourself;) but you would not believe the time i had in my era:D my problem nowadays is my legs are fuc@ed & any sort of mechanics ends up me hurting myself or worse [somebody else]...i would be very interested in your progress in the future(y)

Monday 16th June 2008 - Part 2:

After battling with corroded connectors and seized cables I spent the rest of the afternoon fiddling with the 2.8 V6 engine. I was checking if various parts were still in place and functioning, and if seized giving them a good dose of WD40 and then some 'persuasion'. Amazingly the engine hadn't seized after all these years, something I was worried that might have happend, and a quick blast on the starter had it turning over without too much effort.

The carburettor butterflies also hadn't seized, another pleasant surprise as left unused carburettors have a habit of turning into a lump of corroded alloy. It still had oil in the sump too, so there wasn't much more to do other than pour some petrol into the tank and give a few squirts of 'Easi-Start' down the carburettor throats. Now the moment of truth. What would happen when I tried to start it?

I turned the key and the engine turned over. Not a lot going on. I stop, wait a few seconds, then try again. Engine turns over and coughs this time, then just carries on turning over. I tried this again a few times with much the same result, the odd cough and kick suggesting it was trying to fire.

The battery was going flat so I gave it a rest. The starter motor seemed to be a bit sluggish so I took the time out to remove the cables and clean them back to shiny metal before replacing them. Another quick squirt of Easi-Start into the carburettor and I turned the starter again. A few coughs, then it fired for a couple of seconds before dying. I tried again. The starter span the motor, it coughed and kicked and then...

...IT'S ALIVE! :woot:

As you can see in the video above I got it started and running quite nicely. Not bad considering the last time it ran was in 1998! (Notice at around 1.09 the carburettor spits back and my hand disappears rather sharply :eek:) The engine note sounds gorgeous (it's missing the rear silencer :devil:), a baritone rumble that sounds so smooth and musical.

Biggest problem at the moment is that the brakes are seized solid. It just will NOT shift, even when put in Drive (it's an auto) and given some of its 140bhp. This will need further investigation, or a big vehicle to drag it out of the lock up. Problem is, if I drag it out and can't unseize the brakes then there's no way I'll ever get it back in again...

The alternator is also seized, and the water pump is shot (I knew this when I was working on it, erm, ten years ago). I managed to pick up a bargain waterpump on Fleabay so that would get swapped over at a later date. I also removed the alternator to take home and try to free off.

But I do have to get the car moving so I can assess its underside and decide whether to go ahead with the project or not. If the project is a go'er then I want to try and get it rolling properly so I can bring it home to work on. It will be a lot easier in terms of access on my front drive though a pain as it's out in the open. Being the summer that shouldn't be too much of a problem unless it rains like it did last year...

Thus the end of my first day working on the Cortina proved to be a fruitful one with the engine awakened after its ten year slumber. Just how well will the rest of the car shape up in comparison? Will I ever get the brakes freed off or will it remain in the garage forever more? Will the taste Police arrest me for having a yellow car with a black vinyl roof and chrome trim?

I will keep you all posted ;)

Last edited:
Back