1967 850 Sport Coupe (USA)

Currently reading:
1967 850 Sport Coupe (USA)

RussG

I am getting ready to look at doing a rebuild of a 1967 850 Sport Coupe I pretty sure I am the second owner. My Mom & Dad bought this from a friend of my Dad's as a HS graduation present for me. I didn't run (cracked piston) and I never got around to fixing it. I am only missing the rods & pistons. I am little miffed at my dad for tossing them along with the new pistons I bought back in the 80s for it when he torn down is garage.

Pretty sure this has the 817cc motor :-( I am wondering how hard its going to be to find new rods and pistons....

Attachments

• 1967SportCoupe.jpg
    1967SportCoupe.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 316
  • 1967SportCoupeRear.jpg
    1967SportCoupeRear.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 1967SPDash.jpg
    1967SPDash.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 1967SCBlock.jpg
    1967SCBlock.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 120
You would be suprised what is avaliable for fiat 850's in the US. Companies like www.mrfiat.com and www.fiatplus.com stock pretty much anything to do a complete rebuild. Ebay is another great source for NOS and used bits. If all else fails I have a complete set of rods and pistons from the 817 motor I removed from my 850 sedan I can make you a deal on. But a 67 should have an 843cc motor. 68 was the first year for the sub-50 cubic inch emissions motor. 843 and 903 motors use 65mm pistons and the 817's use 64mm units.

Good luck getting that car back on the road. It is a very rare car here and I doubt there are more than 30 left driving in the whole country.

Hey Ditchdigger, I've been trying to figure out how to contact you since it looks like you're up on these cars.

I am confused on the motor. Most of what I've found claims the 817cc was used in the sport coupes when they first started importing them into the US. I have a rough idea of the history of the car and I know it was bought new in California. CA was slapping smog pumps on cars as early as 66 (my 66 truck had one) that too would seam to point towards a 817cc motor in the car, but who knows. I won't know for sure until I tank it and have everything messured.

I know that the 817 & 843 motors use the same length rods so I am likely to be interested them regardless.

I dug out an old book that had this info
100GS 000 engines are 843cc
100GS3 040 engines are 817cc
100GBS 040 engines are 903cc

Look for any of those numbers on your motor.

Your car will also have the early front disc brakes. The rotors for these are very hard to find and expensive. I would recommend replacing the steering knuckles with those from a 69 or later car to take advantage of the cheap and plentiful rotors and pads

Mirafiori.com is pretty much the US Fiat HQ. Lots of knowledgeable people. There is also a large and pretty busy mailing list for 850 owners here
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/fiat850/ mostly 850 spider specific. us sedan and coupe owners are really in the minority

So I have an old Haynes manual I bought for the car back in the early 80's. It shows 817cc motor as the 100 G3 002 and the 843cc as the 100 GC 000.

The side of my block as an "H 100G FIAT" which I'm gathering doesn't tell me much other than its sport coupe motor. I need to look it over cause the Haynes manual states that the engine code should be on the end of the block just above the oil pump pulley.

Yeah, Russ, give us an update!

I understood that there was some parts similarities between the 850s and the 128s. Does anyone know whether that is true?

Russ, you should also check out Midwest-Bayless. They have a pretty good selection of parts. The link page is to their 850 motor components page. They have con-rods and pistons, but it looks like they are for the 903 motor.

I found an 850 coupe here locally a couple years ago and I still think about going back to buy it and see if I can restore it. I just finished an X1/9 and have another waiting for resto, though.

Two totally different cars, almost nothing interchanges.

Where's the coupe you found?
Yeah, Russ, give us an update!

I understood that there was some parts similarities between the 850s and the 128s. Does anyone know whether that is true?

I found an 850 coupe here locally a couple years ago and I still think about going back to buy it and see if I can restore it. I just finished an X1/9 and have another waiting for resto, though.

stanz -- sorry it's been a while since I've checked out this forum. The car was sitting in a lot down near the airport here in Phx, AZ, along with a bunch of other derlict cars. Here's a pic I snapped of it back when I saw it:

P1050131.jpg

Hello all,

good to see so many 850 Coupe fans on the other side of the big ocean as well. I got mine, a 1967 model, last spring and have had a fun summer with it. The car was in relatively great shape when I got it, still have had to do some little things (aiming for perfection). I've changed the aftermarket exhaust to an original one (or at least original type), replaced some electrical parts, general little maintenance. I've found out that some parts which are nearly impossible to find in Europe can be found in the US and have ordered them from there. The postage to Finland is usually more than expensive but this being a hobby to me, I haven't let the cost bother me (too much).

This brings me to my question about a spare part which I have not been able to locate anywhere... Where can I find the black plastic strip in the rear right hand side quarter panel (interior, under the rear side window)...? The part is in Fiatplus website; however they don't have it. I've also tried other US based parts dealers with no luck (and tehy've been asking their friends as well, great service there).
Here's the part:
fiatplus dot com/rt-r-1-4-panel-plasic-strip-pr-297931.html

I'd need at least this part, probably will need the other plastic strips as well in the future as they have started cracking. If anyone here has the part or any ideas where to look for these, please let me know. The part would go to a good home (if that matters).

If you have some info, you can e-mail me at vili76 (at) gmail.com
or message me here.

Unfortunately I'm such a newbie that this forum doesn't let me post photos or hyperlinks... I'd like to show you my coupe. Well, only four more posts and I'll get the permission. :)

Back