Technical 1964 Fiat 500D Cuts Out

Currently reading:
Technical 1964 Fiat 500D Cuts Out

handy andy

I have a Fiat 500D 1964. After running for two or three miles, the engine shudders, then cuts out. Then when allowed to cool will start again for a few yards more. I have replaced coil, spark plugs, condenser, CB points, cleaned the carburettor and also checked the filter in the fuel tank. All to no avail. Does anyone have any other ideas|?| Much appreciated.

Check for leaks under the carb base, either a crack in the plastic base or a warped carb base. That's what mine turned out to be.

Have you rebuilt or replaced your fuel pump? Next time it dies, and before it cools, check if you are getting spark to the spark plugs.

Have you got a known good, decent quality condenser to subsitute? Sounds very much like the condenser breaking down as it warms up. Also, it might be an idea to replace the LT lead from coil to distributor - that failed on me a long time ago due to work hardening from vibration which developed high resistance when hot.

Have you got a known good, decent quality condenser to subsitute? Sounds very much like the condenser breaking down as it warms up. Also, it might be an idea to replace the LT lead from coil to distributor - that failed on me a long time ago due to work hardening from vibration which developed high resistance when hot.
A problem with all the 500 and 126 engines is that the distributor and condensor are directly in the path of a steady blast of hot air---the 'cooling' air from the engine. Condensers and electronic ignitions do not like being over-heated---and modern condesners are very cheaply made. One way of removing the condenser problem out of the equationis to fit one from"Swiftune"--it has a long 'feed' wire AND a long 'earth' wire, so it can be fitted remote from the distributor---up by the coil and away from the blast of hot air They are not cheap (about £31 inc carriage) but they are VERY well made and will give no problems.

YES BOTH ITEMS DONE
NEW CONDENSER
NEW L T LEAD

Back