Technical 185/55 R15 vs 195/50 R15?

Currently reading:
Technical 185/55 R15 vs 195/50 R15?

I could not see another thread about tyre downsize as above. I need four new tyre all are old cracked. My current are 185/55R15 on HGT, The cost for the 195/50R15 are £19 each cheaper than the 185/55.
Will it be ok if I have the 195/50 on my HGT? some of my mates said it is very popular for Punto a lot better than the 185/55 it do improve the handling, and better braking but I was more focus on the price per tyre. Will it rub on my arch?, do the 195/50 make my car look stupid with small wheel?

Last edited:
I could not see another thread about tyre downsize as above. I need four new tyre all are old cracked. My current are 185/55R15 on HGT, The cost for the 195/50R15 are £19 each cheaper than the 185/55.
Will it be ok if I have the 195/50 on my HGT? some of my mates said it is very popular for Punto a lot better than the 185/55 it do improve the handling, and better braking but I was more focus on the price per tyre. Will it rub on my arch?, do the 195/50 make my car look stupid with small wheel?

Use the tyre calculator on this website to show any differences etc.

https://www.wheel-size.com/

The tyre diameter will be the same with the 195s but you should not fit wider tyres... it is only a Punto and it does not need it. You will get more drag, more noise and it takes more fuel to spin up wider, heavier wheels.

Pay the extra money and fit the correct tyres for the car, they were chosen by Fiat for a reason...

195 and 185 should have similar grip levels

In the wet id rather have the 185 as there is more pressure on the tyre to help force through water

Tyre widths are like the walking in snow its all about the pressure to help make contact with the ground

Deep snow and just trainers - u sink right down
But put on the tennis racket style snow shoes and you walk above the snow

There is a firm reason why i use 185 alloys in summer and the 165s in winter....

165s have more pressure on them to help push through water
But it also helps with tyre design compound depth tyre pressures and condition....

Its the owners call

Ziggy

The tyre diameter will be the same with the 195s but you should not fit wider tyres... it is only a Punto and it does not need it. You will get more drag, more noise and it takes more fuel to spin up wider, heavier wheels.

Pay the extra money and fit the correct tyres for the car, they were chosen by Fiat for a reason...

bluejohn is right here. No point in putting on rubber that is wider than the wheel, 185's will do the job.

Back