Technical 16valve Cinqracer

Currently reading:
Technical 16valve Cinqracer

Eoin611

Have checked a few threads on the Punto sporting conversion into a Cinq but havn't found any conclusive advice. People just say that it's difficult. Is this difficulty caused by lads trying to keep things tidy and road legal under the bonnet?
My car is going to be raced, engine bay space isn't a concern. Going from Punto 75 8valve to 16v in what was originially an 1108 car, are mountings the same? Would i be better off changing the fuel tank altogether to cope with new fuel pressure requirements? Do i have to change the entire loom?
Any advice appreciated.

from 1.1 8v to 1.2 16v, all i did was extend a few wires in the bay....no mapping or anything else!

To add to that, others say they can run mpi 1.2 8v on the cinq spi ecu, running injectors in parallel. Think DtT didn't manage it though, so may be fairy dust.

But....if you follow those two ideas, you can splice and run a 1.2 16v from a 1.1 8v spi ecu..

Get it mapped, so much the better (y)

kristian

There is a more basic question you need to ask first.

Are you allowed to do it?

You say its going to be used for racing, what series, what class, what modifications are or aren't allowed? If this engine swap IS allowed, then why aren't others already using it? Or are they? Perhaps you need to ask them.

The type of racing that cinqs compete in are normally limited to what you are allowed to do (or fit to) the stock engine.

The class it's in now is limited to 1250cc standard tune with the Punto Sporting specifically excluded because it would beat everything. ie: 106, Corsa, Micra etc. The class i'm planning to go into is upto 1310cc standard tune, mostly 1300 12v Starlets, Corsa,Uno and Suzuki 16v.
Have to keep standard ECU, can skim head and block, can't use race cams or limo. Punto Sporting engine in our Cinq would probably beat everything in the class, we'd also be the first to do it. Were the first to make a Cinq competitive which was nice. Most lads still struggling with 1108cc, this wonderful forum gave me idea to go with 1242cc 60 engine with 866 75 cam. The 16valve is just a natural progression I suppose.
That idea to run injectors in parrallel sounds interesting, like old K-jetronic system.

That idea to run injectors in parrallel sounds interesting, like old K-jetronic system.

The Greek CC lot showed ages ago that its perfectly possible to alter an SPi system to batch fire MPi by wiring the 4 injectors in parallel and including an appropriate resistor. Assuming flow rates arent too high the system should stay self tuning.

It's basically hotrod racing on the same level as Autograss or NHRA ovals. We run on a tarmac track in the South-East of Ireland. The Cinq is actually my younger brothers car, running Koni adjustables, 7x20 Avons on lovely shiny Superlites. I had a 2.2vtec in X1/9, unforunately it suffered a bad bang last february and went to heaven. Good cheap fun.

It's basically hotrod racing on the same level as Autograss or NHRA ovals. We run on a tarmac track in the South-East of Ireland. The Cinq is actually my younger brothers car, running Koni adjustables, 7x20 Avons on lovely shiny Superlites. I had a 2.2vtec in X1/9, unforunately it suffered a bad bang last february and went to heaven. Good cheap fun.

Oh, don't tease us, you MUST post some pics:cool:

On the sei, I had to cut the headlight surround a bit, cut the headlight mount bolt flush to the nut, and then it all went in ok...ran the crank and oil cables to the side to make sure they didn't get chopped though :D

A spacer on the belt end mount should shift the engine enough to get it out the way as an alternative.

Kristian

Back