Qubo 16 inch alloy wheel

Currently reading:
Qubo 16 inch alloy wheel

Philbee

Qubo 16 inch alloy wheel

eBay under '16 inch alloy wheel' good spare wheel!

Last edited:
Re: Qubo 16 inch alloy wheel

Couldn't find the listing, is this wheel still available? Need a spare and hate the space savers. Thanks

I got 'most' of the spare wheel holding mechanics from a scrap yard (eBay so I didn't see the whole content) but I also bought two alloys with tyres as my car had a buckled front wheel when when I bought it (visible flat on one part of the rim from possibly a heavy kerbing?) Someone on here I'm sure said that an alloy has a different mount or local holder as its shape is slightly different from a steelie.
The buckled wheel was on the front and caused a vibe at 42-48 mph. Wise guy at the MOT said it would stop if he swapped it to the rear which he did. The vibe was far worse! I switched it for one of the 'new' alloys and all was well so I got the tyre swapped too and now I have a smooth ride again :)

If anyone has experience of the alloy mount and could post a pic I'd be grateful to see what if any difference there is between the two. I got the three floor mount brackets and the winding mechanism with one grey plastic wing-bolt device. Not sure if I need any more bits other than a second plastic wing-bolt. Has anyone got a pic of the parts from the catalogue? Might help more than just me..
However, if an alloys supplied car has a steel as a standard for a spare then I have an s/h alloy for sale!

Btw Sue, I think there isn't a space saver option for us, it's the yucky tyre ruining gunk and a compressor supplied at new. I have that in the boot - nice compressor but I would rather call the AA than use the gloop.

R-V-M

Re: Qubo 16 inch alloy wheel

I got 'most' of the spare wheel holding mechanics from a scrap yard (eBay so I didn't see the whole content) but I also bought two alloys with tyres as my car had a buckled front wheel when when I bought it (visible flat on one part of the rim from possibly a heavy kerbing?) Someone on here I'm sure said that an alloy has a different mount or local holder as its shape is slightly different from a steelie.
The buckled wheel was on the front and caused a vibe at 42-48 mph. Wise guy at the MOT said it would stop if he swapped it to the rear which he did. The vibe was far worse! I switched it for one of the 'new' alloys and all was well so I got the tyre swapped too and now I have a smooth ride again :)

If anyone has experience of the alloy mount and could post a pic I'd be grateful to see what if any difference there is between the two. I got the three floor mount brackets and the winding mechanism with one grey plastic wing-bolt device. Not sure if I need any more bits other than a second plastic wing-bolt. Has anyone got a pic of the parts from the catalogue? Might help more than just me..
However, if an alloys supplied car has a steel as a standard for a spare then I have an s/h alloy for sale!

Btw Sue, I think there isn't a space saver option for us, it's the yucky tyre ruining gunk and a compressor supplied at new. I have that in the boot - nice compressor but I would rather call the AA than use the gloop.

R-V-M

Thanks R-V-M, the handbook states a 15" space saver would be OK even though my QUBO has 16" wheels but living where I do (Scottish Highlands and Islands) a 'limp home' wheel is just not on and only slightly more use than the useless squirty stuff ! I can't believe the problems I am experiencing getting even a quote for a single 16" alloy as a spare. Have been told by some I can use a 15" wheel with a different tyre but then others breath through their teeth. Will DM you.

To add to the confusion...
I also couldn't find a definitive answer whether a 15" spare with different tyre was a suitable spare if you had 16" Fiat alloys. Many seemed to have gone down this route though, so I got a 15" "nemo/fiorino" steel wheel with a 185/65/15 tyre from an online scrapper, It certainly fits fine and visually matches size (rolling circumfrance/diameter) of alloy + its trye, though I haven't driven on it to be honest.

Did find if you bend down its just visible below the bumper line when its hung beneath the boot floor and wonder if I shouldn't have got one of the spacesavers on ebay instead. Also suprised only thing bearing the weight of the spare when stowed is a thin steel cable no thicker than a bicycle brake cable. There's the two thumb screws to secure the hoist plate to the wheel just in case it moves but its only the steel cable taking the weight, unless I've set it up wrong, but as far as I can see from diagrams etc, I haven't. Would abbreciate any input on this ?

Also when sourcing a jack beware the dimensions of the spot above the rear wheel arch where its supposed to be stowed. I got a Fiat jack kit from Ebay for a punto/multipla and the compressed jack was to long to fit there. Pit because it came in its own Fiat bag with accessories etc and now it takes up valueble boot floor space. Anyone know where can get a smaller one suitably sized for the Qubo designated stowage spot?

I also couldn't find a definitive answer whether a 15" spare with different tyre was a suitable spare if you had 16" Fiat alloys. Many seemed to have gone down this route though, so I got a 15" "nemo/fiorino" steel wheel with a 185/65/15 tyre from an online scrapper, It certainly fits fine and visually matches size (rolling circumfrance/diameter) of alloy + its trye, though I haven't driven on it to be honest.

Did find if you bend down its just visible below the bumper line when its hung beneath the boot floor and wonder if I shouldn't have got one of the spacesavers on ebay instead. Also suprised only thing bearing the weight of the spare when stowed is a thin steel cable no thicker than a bicycle brake cable. There's the two thumb screws to secure the hoist plate to the wheel just in case it moves but its only the steel cable taking the weight, unless I've set it up wrong, but as far as I can see from diagrams etc, I haven't. Would abbreciate any input on this ?

Also when sourcing a jack beware the dimensions of the spot above the rear wheel arch where its supposed to be stowed. I got a Fiat jack kit from Ebay for a punto/multipla and the compressed jack was to long to fit there. Pit because it came in its own Fiat bag with accessories etc and now it takes up valueble boot floor space. Anyone know where can get a smaller one suitably sized for the Qubo designated stowage spot?

Thanks for the all the info. Agree the spare wheel carrier doesn't look that robust - having one fitted in a couple of weeks but the rate I'm going I won't have a tyre to put in it!

Hi,

Steel cable is strong stuff! It's used for bike brakes, your car handbrakes, the Humber Bridge....

Can you state specifically (or post a pic?) where this jack stowage space is please?

I bought a nice scissor jack for doing the do with the slot in the square top piece to bridge the under-sill weld and I had to take a hacksaw to the jack to slice some metal out to make the slot even fit. Described as 'universal' but obviously only up to a point.. It's good now though I have to stand it on a wood block to get enough lift to clear rubber off the tarmac. What if I leave that at home and need to change a wheel? Fine with a flat tyre but an inflated one is larger and if there's not enough clearance I'm stuffed.

In the Fiorino, the floor pan is different as there's no rear footwell for pax, the rear load bay comes to the back of the front seats and the jack/brace bag stows nicely under the P1 seat (Blue&Me unit under the pax seat).

In the Qubo, Fiat have scuppered the potential usefulness of the under-front-seat stowage with a large steel frame and wires for the seat belt sensor (nanny-state warning) and pre-tensioner cable all of which are too short thus trail across the gap underneath and get caught up in yer supermarket bags and anything else useful you try to keep under there out of sight. Great planning Fiat, especially given the lack of useful pockets/stowing spaces in the cab. Enough room underneath the seats for one of those handy drawers that Smart put in their early For2s (unless you have Blue&Me in which case that big black box is parked under the driver's seat)

R-V-M

Thanks for comments Red Van Man. I figured the steel cable must be sufficiently specified for the job, just looking for a bit of reassurance as a DIY'er :) Especially after lifting the weight of the full sized steel wheel and tyre out of the boot and thinking of the jolts the cable will experience over all the local speed bumps the council loves to put on our roads!

Please see attached online pic for "official" jack stowage spot. In it you can see the black bag containing jack and tools strapped to two lashing points above the left (looking from back of car) rear wheel arch. I have these lashing points and its where the pump and gunk were lashed in my Qubo, but the jack I've acquired is too long to fit in that spot which is frustrating.

Have already looked under passenger seats and know what you mean about lost stowage potential. Very tempted to simply snip the wires and lengthen run so can reroute them properly. Would you simply get extra cable from a motor factors? Presume there is (a) standard cable(s) spec for car electrics in same way as for home electrics? Think I must have seen your Smart drawers comment elsewhere, because have already scoured ebay for any kind of universal drawer.

Although I'm pleased with my Qubo so far, not going that extra yard to achieve the perfect design, seems to be a little bit of a theme with Fiat, especially having come from the quality standards of a Honda Civic. The under seat stowage/wiring is an example of this. Quality of switchgear is another, it looks great but the stalks have a "bendy" feel to them and there's no positive click to the buttons on the steering wheel and radio, in fact I find them quite awkward to press properly. Similarly the position of the fog light switches - they are so low and so close to the menu switches, you have to take your eyes of the road while you hunt for them. And don't start me on the key fob... why 3 different buttons when you only need one. If car is locked, press it to unlock the car or if car is unlocked press it to lock the car. Lost count of the times I've left the Qubo unlocked, having pressed the "Unlock" button in error and assumed car was locked because I've seen the lights flash. Pressing the Lock button twice to use the deadlock is pointless (it should activate however you lock the car) as is the third button to unlock the boot only - simply unlock all doors and boot, no need to unlock boot alone. Anyway rant over - as I said I am pleased with car in general, just disappointed as someone with a bit of italian blood that our national car manufacturer hasn't quite designed the perfect utility car for lack of only a little more thought.

Still have a few jobs to do on my Qubo and was very interested in your and Luigi's posts on fitting cruise control - I do miss this facility as the perfect way of not falling victim to speed cameras. Just have to unscrew my steering column shroud and see if I have the prerequisite cruise control socket there to plug a control stalk into. Is it really that simple? I haven't found any contradictory research, but seems such an easy fix.

Also toying with idea of fitting 68R socket for satnav, or was considering a simple cigarette lighter socket instead since, TomTom map updates seem to be a bit of a rip-off. All to avoid trailing wires lol. Suppose it comes down to whether the extra media display (ipod & music etc) of the Tomtom outweigh the extra Tomtom setup costs. Any views welcome :)

Attachments

• jack stowage.JPG
    jack stowage.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 36
Thanks for comments Red Van Man. I figured the steel cable must be sufficiently specified for the job, just looking for a bit of reassurance as a DIY'er :) Especially after lifting the weight of the full sized steel wheel and tyre out of the boot and thinking of the jolts the cable will experience over all the local speed bumps the council loves to put on our roads!

Please see attached online pic for "official" jack stowage spot. In it you can see the black bag containing jack and tools strapped to two lashing points above the left (looking from back of car) rear wheel arch. I have these lashing points and its where the pump and gunk were lashed in my Qubo, but the jack I've acquired is too long to fit in that spot which is frustrating.

Have already looked under passenger seats and know what you mean about lost stowage potential. Very tempted to simply snip the wires and lengthen run so can reroute them properly. Would you simply get extra cable from a motor factors? Presume there is (a) standard cable(s) spec for car electrics in same way as for home electrics? Think I must have seen your Smart drawers comment elsewhere, because have already scoured ebay for any kind of universal drawer.

Although I'm pleased with my Qubo so far, not going that extra yard to achieve the perfect design, seems to be a little bit of a theme with Fiat, especially having come from the quality standards of a Honda Civic. The under seat stowage/wiring is an example of this. Quality of switchgear is another, it looks great but the stalks have a "bendy" feel to them and there's no positive click to the buttons on the steering wheel and radio, in fact I find them quite awkward to press properly. Similarly the position of the fog light switches - they are so low and so close to the menu switches, you have to take your eyes of the road while you hunt for them. And don't start me on the key fob... why 3 different buttons when you only need one. If car is locked, press it to unlock the car or if car is unlocked press it to lock the car. Lost count of the times I've left the Qubo unlocked, having pressed the "Unlock" button in error and assumed car was locked because I've seen the lights flash. Pressing the Lock button twice to use the deadlock is pointless (it should activate however you lock the car) as is the third button to unlock the boot only - simply unlock all doors and boot, no need to unlock boot alone. Anyway rant over - as I said I am pleased with car in general, just disappointed as someone with a bit of italian blood that our national car manufacturer hasn't quite designed the perfect utility car for lack of only a little more thought.

Still have a few jobs to do on my Qubo and was very interested in your and Luigi's posts on fitting cruise control - I do miss this facility as the perfect way of not falling victim to speed cameras. Just have to unscrew my steering column shroud and see if I have the prerequisite cruise control socket there to plug a control stalk into. Is it really that simple? I haven't found any contradictory research, but seems such an easy fix.

Also toying with idea of fitting 68R socket for satnav, or was considering a simple cigarette lighter socket instead since, TomTom map updates seem to be a bit of a rip-off. All to avoid trailing wires lol. Suppose it comes down to whether the extra media display (ipod & music etc) of the Tomtom outweigh the extra Tomtom setup costs. Any views welcome :)

Ah yes - that's where my pump'n'gunk package is... I haven't tried my Sealey jack there but I'd have to get a bag for it first really.

There was a chap on eBay a while ago trying to sell 68R sockets (no wiring) as he'd 'salvaged' them from a sea container (I didn't ask) and had about 50 or so! If you did choose this route I have a surplus TT satnav holder which fits the 68R. I did have the satnav tied to the car at one point but that satnav got left/lost in Mallorca and the new one isn't tied (although the startup splash screen shows the Fiat logo). It will pick up contact directories from the phone and do fuel economy etc. plus immediately offers to direct you to the nearest petrol station as soon as the low fuel warning light comes on - SO unnecessary! Like the beep to tell you the washing machine has finished..

Re the cables under the seat, if you check the gauges of the wires, you should be able to get some more similar in Halfrauds or another motor factors.

I'll have a trial with the jack and see if it goes in ok - but then where to put the gloop pack until I get the spare fitted! With the two plastic wing nuts, I wonder if I could get them remade using 3D printing in alloy or something a little more substantial (particularly in the light of your comment on potholes and the stress placed on underslung loads). I only have one wing-thing atm so must acquire at least one more to be able to test them out (with an alloy).

Perhaps @ben this thread should be uplifted/copied to the Qubo region as it may be of some use to other users?

R-V-M

Back