Technical 130000 mile Twinair advice

Currently reading:
Technical 130000 mile Twinair advice

panda54

Hi,
Trekking twinair 2013 @130000 miles .£2200
Any views on the mileage for problems ? How is the reliability of the twinair at these mileages?
Have sent some questions regarding service history.
Worth considering ?
Thanks

Hi,
Car prices are ridiculous right now.
Any views on the mileage for problems ?
Any petrol engine with high mileage raises my eyebrows a little. But a lot depends on service history, and applying the 'trigger broom logic'. "25 year old brush, it's had 6 new heads and 3 new handles" it could be 130k with a nearly new engine thanks to it all being replaced.
Worth considering ?
Thanks
If it's in your budget, and you enjoy tinkering, why not! :-D

Hi,
Any views on the mileage for problems ? How is the reliability of the twinair at these mileages?
Have sent some questions regarding service history.
Worth considering ?
Thanks
I'd be careful of a little two cylinder at that mileage. Have seen plenty with head gasket or actuator issues. Sure, they may have been neglected but having seen the work those engines have to do, I wouldn't expect one to go very far. 130k miles is definitely very impressive. Have seen several on Copart with 70k> miles and buggered engines . It's the same story with Ford's EcoBoost 3cyl. Some make it to impressive mileages while some die early.

You could get a warranty on the car and worry less. Also, as @UKRMedic has mentioned above, the engine bay may look rather shiny for a 9 year old car with 130k on the clock due to the worst already happening.

Overall, it is your choice. I'd personally hold back and find something with lower mileage. On the plus side, hopefully used car prices relax a bit, been slightly chaotic lately.

Thanks for the replys still getting more info.
I would hope the clutch has been replaced (does if have dmf ?)
Thanks for the replys

Thanks for the replys still getting more info.
I would hope the clutch has been replaced (does if have dmf ?)
Thanks for the replys
Unless someone corrects me - I'm pretty sure this is a good old fashioned friction clutch.
I've learned to hate DMF when I used to have to have older vehicles. I sense your pain.

Based on my experience 100k is no big deal for the TA. provided it has been serviced with the correct oil and never overheated it should be fine. You will inevitably have issues with the turbo wastegate - the spindle and the exhaust manifold bushings wear out needing replacement. The whole assembly including turbo etc can be found new for £500 ish. Probably worth asking if this has been done.

Try and see : drive other twinairs..

They make odd sounds.. you want to know what is 'normal'

At 130k if it runs well then great.. I would check tyres for odd wear.. pointing to major suspension wear

Exhaust might be expensive to replace also

My 2012 is running fine at 65k.. no mechanical parts replaced yet

At 130k it will certainly well run in :)

8 years ago a 40k twinair was worth @£3500.. daft isnt it

8 years ago a 40k twinair was worth @£3500.. daft isnt it
I guess that shows the value of rarity? The Trekking version of the Panda (with the TractionPlus off road grip control and raised body of the 4x4s, but without the extra weight and complexity of full four wheel drive) was not a big seller, but gained a good reputation for being 'nearly' as good as a 4x4 in all but the worst conditions.

I think its not worth the price having looked at the old MOTs.
MOT history bad points
  • 2021 Front Lower Cab or chassis corroded within 30cm of a mounting, but not seriously affecting overall security (6.2.2 (d) (i))
  • 2018@95000mls -no oil on dipstick top up 1ltr
  • Few other worn shocks worn tyres but just advisories.
  • How many left show @530 Trekkings on the road.
  • Thanks again

I think its not worth the price having looked at the old MOTs.
MOT history bad points
Good call looking into this - it's quite telling to me. The previous owner has committed cardinal sins.
  • 2021 Front Lower Cab or chassis corroded within 30cm of a mounting, but not seriously affecting overall security (6.2.2 (d) (i))
  • 2018@95000mls -no oil on dipstick top up 1ltr
Both of the above, especially the oil, is lack of care - especially the oil - either not serviced, or leaking.
  • Few other worn shocks worn tyres but just advisories.
Tyres. Reminds me of my younger, more skint days.

It took me a while to find the right one for me. As someone on the forum said, they don't hang around for long - but at the same time, you totally don't want to buy a heap. The right car at the right price will come along!

Back