Technical 130 multijet euro 5 engine

Currently reading:
Technical 130 multijet euro 5 engine

DougDucato

1.There is some info on the web about upgrading vans & truck vehicles to euro 6. Does anyone know if there is, or if there is likely to be, a euro 6 update available for this engine?

2. I recently had a steering rack leak from the drivers side bellows on my 2012 x250. I tried a “leak cure” liquid which seems to have worked. I would like to know, should I need to remove the rack, if this is an ‘easy job’ or does it mean dropping the front subframe.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Doug

Hi Doug

Although nothing is impossible, I suspect that upgrading to Euro 6 would be an enormous undertaking requiring the addition of many expensive new parts and the replacement of others. What is your incentive to upgrade ?

If you wish to simply replace the rubber gaiter covering the steering rod at the end of the rack, the Elearn procedure isn't very helpful as it assumes the rack is on the bench. I am 90% confident that you can do this operation with the rack in-situ. Once the bands fastening the gaiter are released, the steering rod is free to rotate (there is a ball and socket joint at its inboard end). If you release the locknut on the outboard ball joint, the rod can be unscrewed from this leaving just a threaded end. The old gaiter can then be slid off. Replace everything in the reverse order. Unless you take a careful note of the position of the rod in the outboard ball joint and replace it in exactly the same place, you will need to get the steering tracking checked/adjusted afterwards.

Hi Anthony,
Many thanks for your post.
Re: updating to Euro 6. I read a few articles on the web recently about local councils updating their vehicles, particularly in low emission areas. These were mostly large trucks but there was some indication that ‘kits’ for vans may follow.
It’s not a major concern for me as I live in France and, in Europe, euro 4 is still accepted in LEZ’s until next year and Euro 5 for an, as yet, unspecified time after that. UnlIke UK that already insists on Euro 6 to avoid the tolls.
However, it may well be that LEZ zones will grow bigger, and the regs more stringent, both in Britain and Europe, which could make things more difficult.
Firms are advertising kits for local councils in UK which are an add on to the existing exhaust system and one site said that van kits may soon be available.

For the steering rack, the leak was from the inner joint of the gaiter with the rack and seems to have stopped since I used a bottle of ‘stop leak’ product. (the gaiter is still securely fixed at both ends and had no holes in it). However, I did read that if the gaiter leaks, then usually the inner seal of the rack is the problem.
As a believer in “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” I shan’t do anything else unless the leak returns. If it does, I may need to remove the rack unless I can replace the inner seal by removing the gaiter in situ as you suggested. The length of the rack spindle which connects to the steering column seems to indicate that it won’t clear the front subframe unless it’s lowered.

Best wishes

Doug

Back