General 126 Buying Advice

Currently reading:
General 126 Buying Advice

Not often I post in this section, I'm going to be looking at an '83 126 on Sunday. From what I know of it's history it's in very good condition body wise so I don't expect to find much rust, the engine has only done 31k but is currently not running. The current owner - a FIAT enthusiast - doesn't have the time to get it running, and suspects plugs/leads. He also tells me that the brake lines may need 'looked at'.

I just wonder - as I've never seen the car - is there anything I should particularly look out for and, if getting running is as simple as it ought to be, anything I should listen out for once it's running?

Cheers!

The 126 650 air cooled engine is very noisy running so can be quite hard to tell right from wrong. You must give it plenty of time to warm up, but once it has it should be smooth.
Ignition is points based needs usual care setting points gap correctly.
Unfortunately low mileage means nothing as sitting unused for long periods does more damage. Mine has 23k on clock yet has had quite a bit of engine work needed. They are a tough engine overall though oil is critical as it forms part of the cooling as well as lubrication system.

On rest of car pay attention to the king pins on front hubs which need greasing regularly and do wear out, this can often lead to quite stiff and heavy feeling to the steering.

Another thing is the gearbox which does not have synchromesh on first gear, you must be at standstill before selecting first. If this is ignored gearbox quickly dissintergrates.

Everything is easily repaired, especially on an air cooled, so nothing to worry about :cool:

Cheers NC, I'd read about the gearboxes not having synchro on 1st, and I pretty much drive my Sei like that anyway so shouldn't be a big deal (y) Shame about the possibility that it may have picked up more damage being sitting doing nothing though but I suppose I won't know for sure until I get a look at it and get it running again :rolleyes:

Back