Technical 1108 stalling problem

Currently reading:
Technical 1108 stalling problem

petel

Established member
Hello All. Has anyone seen this problem on an 1108 Cinquecento before please?

Car would be approx 1996, 1108, 8v, 72000 miles, good condition overall. Recently passed MOT with no problems so emissions within acceptable limits.

Engine has begun to stall without warning, never know when it is going to happen. Prone to doing this after coasting approach to junction or roundabout. Engine is generally quiet and if concentrating on traffic, stall can be unnoticed until attempting to pull away. Car restarts without problem.

Owner asked me to look the car over. Plugs, leads, oil levels all OK, connectors from Lamda and other sensors pulled and Electrosprayed, ECU reset done, problem persists.

How about fuel filter or fuel pump or could this be ignition? These cars have been about since 1996, so this must have come up before. If anyone has had this problem and been able to identify the cause, would be most grateful to hear of it.

Thank you.

I get this problem with mine occasionally, not for the last few weeks though, I'd almost forgotten it was heppening. Never narrowed down the cause so would be interested to know what others come up with. Only thing I can come up with is a possible slipping clutch as it only ever happens when I'm stopped or coming to a stop so can only assume the clutch is kicking in and stalling it.

If you can make it do it, does the fuel pump run to build up the pressure again, or go silent, maybe lift the diamond plate to hear better.

It could be fuel related or ignition or a sensor playing up. Is the ECU temp sensor in range?

Cheers

D

Thank you for your replies.

Am unable to make it do this, as it is completely random. Owner assures me that when it happens, she does not hear the fuel pump ( though she has never thought to listen for it ) and the car restarts without problem.

Owner is very concerned that one day, she will be rear-ended as a result of this happening, so any constructive input would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

had this on a few cars, always turned out to be fuel related for me. id check the filter first then the pump. as it sounds like it just drops off when there is no throttle on. either that or its running way too rich on idol

Many thanks to all for the replies.

Will start with new fuel filter and see how it goes.
In the mean time, any other constructive input welcomed.
Thank you again.

Back