Tuning 1108 bottom end on 999 head?

Currently reading:
Tuning 1108 bottom end on 999 head?

L7 KVV

Has anyone here done this and is it worth it?
Was going to buy a seicento sporting for full engine swap but ended up not going for it. Same guy has an 1108 engine there too, ive no ecu etc for it so was going to go down the route of bottom end swap instead. I am supposed to go get engine today but am i just throwing money away?

Ive been told to upgrade my cam as well but have been looking online and dont know where to find one.

A bit more poke without having to strip down a donor car fit loom and wiring in an electronic fuel pump etc.

Ive found a 4x4 cam now i think. Oh and i have the 1108 fi engine now

Can the 1108 be converted to run the distributor? Then either bore the head to run mechanical pump or go down the electronic pump route?

Has anyone here done this and is it worth it?
Was going to buy a seicento sporting for full engine swap but ended up not going for it. Same guy has an 1108 engine there too, ive no ecu etc for it so was going to go down the route of bottom end swap instead. I am supposed to go get engine today but am i just throwing money away?

Ive been told to upgrade my cam as well but have been looking online and dont know where to find one.

You been listening to that lot on Facebook?;):p
Personally I think it's a lot easier to swap the heads over than try to convert the 1108 head for dizzy & mechanical fuel pump. If it's an MPi engine the carb inlet won't fit that head either. There's no difference in port sizes, the valves are identical so you certainly don't gain anything from the newer head (unless of course your current one is knackered). Gives you a chance to get your head on the bench and clean up the valves, swap stem seals and get that 4x4 cam all shimmed in before you fit it.(y)
Having said that, if you feel like going the electric fuel pump route you could take a peek at what camshaft is already in the 1108 head - might already be a 4x4 or you might get lucky and find someone's stuck an 866 in there.

p.s....yes, done it. Not a road burner but a worthwhile boost over the standard 999.

Last edited:
The cam in the 1108 is a 176. Picking up a whole 4x4 engine tomorrow. So might send the two lumps to mechanic and get him to build my engine ready for swap. Would rather get new fuel pump, carb rebuild kit, tbelt all ready for it to go.

It was my mechanic who said to go electric pump. The 1108 is spi.

Was actually wondering what size the inlet is at the injector, maybe down the line use that inlet manifold with a twin choke carb

Last edited:
176 is not a bad cam actually if you do go electric pump - you could leave the SPi 1108 as is & just swap inlet for the carb. If I remember right the opening at the base of the SPi throttle body is exactly the same as the carb, but it bolts down on opposite corners and the flow on the carb manifold is better anyway - you'll see when you get it apart cylinders 1 & 4 on the injection manifold get to flow round a corner instead of running a nice angle from the throttle body.

IMG_4785.JPG
From this the cam in the 1.1 is actually the better cam. What you think?

Yep, the downside is no cam to drive the mechanical pump so not quite so "plug n'play", but as I said, if it's a SPi it means you can just stick the engine straight in as is with the carb inlet so you win some, you lose some. I did actually get a 176 cam as an upgrade for Roofus, easy fit on a SPi Panda, but sadly by the time I got round to fitting it I never drove with it.

Yep, the downside is no cam to drive the mechanical pump so not quite so "plug n'play", but as I said, if it's a SPi it means you can just stick the engine straight in as is with the carb inlet so you win some, you lose some. I did actually get a 176 cam as an upgrade for Roofus, easy fit on a SPi Panda, but sadly by the time I got round to fitting it I never drove with it.

Does the dizzy fit on end of 176 cam ok then?

Should be OK - haven't got a 176 to hand but this is a pair of 4x4 cams, carb to the left with the offset cam for the pump, and injection to the right with the centred circle instead but both have the offset slot for the dizzy cast into the end, and that injection cam is the one I've just taken out of an '03 Sei so much newer than your 176.

Should be OK - haven't got a 176 to hand but this is a pair of 4x4 cams, carb to the left with the offset cam for the pump, and injection to the right with the centred circle instead but both have the offset slot for the dizzy cast into the end, and that injection cam is the one I've just taken out of an '03 Sei so much newer than your 176.

Wow thank you so much. Ive got the 4x4 engine now. So ive got to get my mechanic to look at all three engines and give opinion on what to do. Apparently the 1108 had a timing belt, head gasket done and new stems just before being removed. (Sounds iffy) Only 30k on the engine too but it has been sitting for a long while so not sure what condition it truly is in.

Back