10mm spanner is what? (3/8?? 7/16?? what? lol)

Currently reading:
10mm spanner is what? (3/8?? 7/16?? what? lol)

It's just simple maths!
Anyone who got, oh I dunno, say above a D in GCSE maths would be able to do that in a second.

25.4mm in one inch. So a 3/8 spanner is 3 times the result of 25.4 divided by 8 or 9.5 mm

And less simply notated 7/16 = 7*(25.4/16) = 11.1mm

arc said:
indeed, i found 1/2 to be a better fit for removing head bolts
if buying a socket set, dont buy one where the sockets are 12 sided. these tend to round heads.you want sockets that grip on the flats. and of course made with crome vanadium. i always think a socket set is an investment, so buy the best you can find. draper pro range is good value as is halfords pro range.;)

Sumplug would be referring to single hex over multi hex and yes I agree mulit hex or 12 sided are pish, cheap tools just end up rounding the bolt of the important part on your car causing nothing but unecessary hassle so go for chrome vandium and NOT drop forged.

Can't remember what the proper term for AF is but here in Scotland we call the "Auld Fashioned"!

Liam

bloomfieldliam said:
Sumplug would be referring to single hex over multi hex and yes I agree mulit hex or 12 sided are pish, cheap tools just end up rounding the bolt of the important part on your car causing nothing but unecessary hassle so go for chrome vandium and NOT drop forged.

Can't remember what the proper term for AF is but here in Scotland we call the "Auld Fashioned"!

Liam
this takes me back:eek:
AF stands for across flats. a spanner is measured between jaws. the nuts and bolts used were called unf or unc.
BSF/Whitworth[great man] used thread measurement so a BSF/whitworth bolt that measured 1/2ins was the thread size and not the nut or bolt head as on AF.(y)

sumplug said:
if buying a socket set, dont buy one where the sockets are 12 sided. these tend to round heads.you want sockets that grip on the flats. and of course made with crome vanadium. i always think a socket set is an investment, so buy the best you can find. draper pro range is good value as is halfords pro range.;)

I have a halfords pro 150 piece socket set. Good bit of kit. It has 12 sidesockets and less sided ones too i think. I'd have a look, but i left them round a mates house when putting the head back on his 1242

arc said:
I have a halfords pro 150 piece socket set. Good bit of kit. It has 12 sidesockets and less sided ones too i think. I'd have a look, but i left them round a mates house when putting the head back on his 1242
did you torque the head down to punto 60 spec? this is why the gaskets go, the torque figures given and used are too low. the punto's are higher and prevent it happening. just some friendly advise passed on to me by my fire engine guru friend.:)

Back