10mm spanner is what? (3/8?? 7/16?? what? lol)

Currently reading:
10mm spanner is what? (3/8?? 7/16?? what? lol)

sumplug said:
did you torque the head down to punto 60 spec? this is why the gaskets go, the torque figures given and used are too low. the punto's are higher and prevent it happening. just some friendly advise passed on to me by my fire engine guru friend.:)

what are the torque settings that you've been told to use. as i say, i've been using 30nm through 90degrees then 90degrees again.

arc said:
what are the torque settings that you've been told to use. as i say, i've been using 30nm through 90degrees then 90degrees again.
normal torque setting is 40nm for the sporting engine.
the 55[not 60 as mentioned, which is wrong] is 45nm. this is the torque setting.:)

ok, so not wanting to loosen the bolts. Considering the have been tightened to 30nm then 90, 90. What should the final torque on them be? I'll just tighten them down to that.

uno_94 said:
well i have spanners and none of them say the size in mm, what is 10mm in what ever type this is? lol :confused:

3/8
7/16
1/2

etc etc

so what would 10mm be? thanks. :)
Well theoretically a 50/127 is the imperial size you want, though you'd be very lucky to find one! Why not just buy a 10mm spanner? They are cheap. Probably even cheaper on you-know-where :D
H

arc said:
im at a loss at what to do then. because it's been torqued to 33% less than it should have been.. :(

new gasket, bolts and start over?
if the torque settings are the same on the 1242 as on the 1108[dont see why not], then according to richard beaty[wolf direct racing], torque figure should be 45nm. so thats a final figure. he explains that sporting engines fail on the head gaskets at 40-50000 miles. this torque figure used by the punto 55 engine of 45nm cures it. puntos dont seem to suffer with gasket problems. hope this helps.:)

I have a 1242 punto engine.

It was torqued to 30nm (as per what the haynes says), and then further tightened through 90 degrees, and then another 90 degrees. So its now torque'd well beyond 30nm and 45nm. But if the starting point (30nm) was wrong, then the final torque is gonig to be wrong also. See what i mean?

arc said:
I have a 1242 punto engine.

It was torqued to 30nm (as per what the haynes says), and then further tightened through 90 degrees, and then another 90 degrees. So its now torque'd well beyond 30nm and 45nm. But if the starting point (30nm) was wrong, then the final torque is gonig to be wrong also. See what i mean?
best bet arc, is to give richard beaty an email. he is a brilliant and nice bloke. get his email through wolf direct racing. sorry, not a technofile, so cannot do links very well.:)

dave said:
they are just same as centos they go just as often as a cento:confused:
if they are the same engine, why is there a different torque setting for the punto over the cinq/sei engine.:confused: the engines are the same. richard beaty says the 45 nm is correct. he does say though, the fire engines gasket does break up and leak.
if you say the punto is just as bad, then its a common weakness. some early 128 type engines also had gasket problems until they modified it.:)

dave said:
you not reading again are you :rolleyes: i never said same engine did i? they have same amount of hg problems as a cento
no need to ask a dude either just enter head gasket an punto into the search at top of page
you got the wrong end of the stick again.:rolleyes:
i meant it as ;- why does haynes/fiat give different torque settings as its the same engine. sorry for the confusion:)

Back