100mm speakers inside door on metal or 130mm speakers on plastic door cover?

Currently reading:
100mm speakers inside door on metal or 130mm speakers on plastic door cover?

QuboTastic

my fiat book said the front door speakers were 130mm so I bought 130mm speakers with matched separate tweeters and crossovers

however they don't fit inside the door onto the metal door frame as the magnet blocks the last couple centimeters of the window rolling down.

so, i could

A. leave them like that (will i damage my window mechanism over time) But it sounds great.

B. mount the 130mm speakers onto the stiff hard plastic door panel, I can stiffen it some more to the metal door bits too... cut the hole for the speaker in the plastic panel and use the included grill for it. Should sound ok?

C. install the same brand 100mm speakers onto the inside of door, fits perfectly and use the crossover and tweeter from the 130mm speaker. I've already installed this on the passenger side but I've noticed a slight drop in bass compared to the bigger speaker that's on right side. Obviously i will run the auto eq stuff to have the head unit re-balance everything with the sub woofer etc and this should be ok?

I know some people look down on mounting speakers to the plastic door panels but this is a modest 50 watt head unit so shouldn't be a problem? plus the subwoofer is handling most of the bass?

ok...

after running auto eq etc and spending an hour or two listening...

the side with the 100mm speaker (passenger door has actually been soundproofed) actually sounds kinda pleasing... like there is a continuous wall of sound from the highest smooth down to midrange area... so in a way it kinda sounds bigger...

the 100mm speaker has various tweeter and midrange arrangement over the 100mm cone...

whereas the driver side with the matched tweeter and 130mm speaker kinda feels like there is the high frequencies and then there is the midrange and there is a hole between them...

I guess I'll slap in the driver side 100mm speaker when I have time and see how they are as a pair.

I wish I could try mounting the 130mm speaker on the Plastic door panel but of course there is no going back if I don't like how it sounds as there will be a big hole in it... argh...

has anyone had speakers mounted onto the stiff plastic door panel instead of the metal of the door itself?

argh...

Last edited:
ok, after more listening I've realized the larger speaker is better...

I'll have to make some mdf rings to mount the 130mm speakers onto the metal part of the door...

so I found MDF spacer rings to put the 130mm speakers on...

although the hole in door metal is 130mm (or almost) the fiat spacer rings (plastic) sold have a narrower diameter where the speaker mounts to them... 100mm basically...

the fiat manual says the speaker is 130mm so don't be tricked as a 130mm speaker won't fit onto the fiat speaker spacer rings.

what is the best way to seal the MDF? paint or slather silicone over them?

Back