General 100HP passenger ride wanted

Currently reading:
General 100HP passenger ride wanted

We have 2 mk2 Pandas so I'm familiar with those but I'm thinking of getting a 100hp. I'd like to know what the ride is like and generally look around one, can anyone in Sussex or bristol/bath way give me a passenger ride?

Thanks
Marc

Different beast entirely .Just because you like the vanilla Panda doesn't mean you'll LOVE the 100hp.Its more like a BMW 0.5 / 'Half'Series or a Golf or something .I went from Centos to 100hp ( not directly) .Didnt enjoy the 100 mostly due to stupid hard ride and unimpressive mpg- generally under 40mpg , sometimes closer to 35 and only a nun could get over 43/44mpg .For what it is , especially with 6 speeds it should do 40s easily , all the time .
I've been driving a diesel Panda now for 4.5 years and love it .Also loved 1.1 loan Panda when 100hp in garage being repaired ( cracked sump when hit rock )

I had same experience with Ford Ka and Puma in early 2000s .The former was awesome but that latter was no better... A bit faster but no grippier , maybe even less ...

Last edited:
Where in Sussex? I'm on the Kent/E Sussex border if that's any good to you?

I take your point and while we do like the 1.2 I don't like the sound of hard clattery ride and light steering. I'm used to a very firm ride in my Elise but I don't use that any great distance. 35mpg I can live with but it doesnt sound great in a natural 1.4. When you say you didnt enjoy it, it wasnt that just initially didn't enjoy but that you never really got on with it?

Different beast entirely .Just because you like the vanilla Panda doesn't mean you'll LOVE the 100hp.Its more like a BMW 0.5 / 'Half'Series or a Golf or something .I went from Centos to 100hp ( not directly) .Didnt enjoy the 100 mostly due to stupid hard ride and unimpressive mpg- generally under 40mpg , sometimes closer to 35 and only a nun could get over 43/44mpg .For what it is , especially with 6 speeds it should do 40s easily , all the time .

Hi Leeski, we're in Brighton, the Kent/Sussex border would be fine, I'll pm my number

Thanks
Marc

Sure thing - I'm at uni in London but could possibly have time for a quick drive with you this Saturday.

I take your point and while we do like the 1.2 I don't like the sound of hard clattery ride and light steering. I'm used to a very firm ride in my Elise but I don't use that any great distance. 35mpg I can live with but it doesnt sound great in a natural 1.4. When you say you didnt enjoy it, it wasnt that just initially didn't enjoy but that you never really got on with it?

Clattery is unfair - it's stiff and you'll start avoiding potholes religiously but it's more the pogoing (fixed by Konis which I've done). The steering is light I guess, but I don't have anything else to compare it to so I don't mind - just keep it on sport. As for MPG, my Fuelly account shows an average 41.0 with a range of 35-45MPG. I just love the HP too much for anything like this to be a problem :D

Ride isn't rattly. It's pretty refined in noise terms but firm - and this doesn't suit everyone. However, fewer cars will take a corner as quickly and its size is the advantage here. Swings and roundabouts.

Economy for us is 36mpg. More on longer runs but use that as an average. A 1.4 Ford Fiesta I know, driven more sedately averages 31 mpg.

Steering is lighter than the 1.2 unless you engage 'sport'. More engine noise than the 1.2 also, though not unpleasant.

Ours is no very much a second car. MOT day today having covered 500 miles in the past year.

If you're buying this car for economy and ability to go over road bumps, don't. Get a 1.2 Dynamic.

I kept my 100hp for about 6 months and wasn't sorry to see it go .A 'small GTi'. SHOULD be capable of decent mpg , sure the bigger ones can do mid - high 30s.The drive by wire / electronic throttle pedal didn't help I reckon and low 6 gears .( to optimise the acceleration the car didn't have ?!)
Ride hardness was unique in my varied experience ( eg lowered MX5 wasn't half as hard )Handling admittedly was stellar but in a relatively narrow window , say from 40-55mph .It wasn't a car to tear round roundabouts nor was it secure at very high speeds on motorways .Anyway just my 2c/p

Oh and it looses tracking at sight of an Irish pothole .You could do it monthly and it would still be out .

Last edited:
If you have an Elise then I think you may dislike the panda. The Elise is on another planet for suspension, similar in mpg and similar in storage space - although you do get two extra seats. Personally with a second car I try to go the opposite - why not a nice cheap Saab diesel and waft around with space for everyone and cheaper fuel bills. Anyway go out for a drive, take at least 30 minutes trying all sorts of roads and see for yourself.

I'm on my 3rd 100hp and I keep coming back to them because fun per £ is pretty high. The ride is hard, but I have owned a Clio 200cup, EK9 Type R, DC2 Type R, Renaultsport Twingo etc and it's not any harder than those were. I would say the other cars were just better damped. I think a lot of people forget that the 100hp is a cheap car! An what it delivers for that money is outstanding. Yes, the mpg is poor. On a long run I can get high 40's and my mile commute is more like low 30's, but it's cheaper to run than my Clio but it's not too much of a compromise.

They are cheap cars to own and cheap to fix, so I would say it's a great option. There are lots of other cars you could spend your money on, but they are a rare little car and I get compliments on how cool it looks from people I work with, and they drive anything from a 1 series through to M3's.

Hope this helps some what. Good luck.

Ask 10 people, get 10 answers.........the best advice is to listen to yourself. We love ours, but it's not for everyone.

As someone has suggested though, be practical:

1. Don't bother driving it on smooth roads as that's a given

2. Drive it at 80mph to see if you like the road noise OK, if you use motorways

3. Drive it for ages on roads with roadbumps to see what your own impressions are

4. Try reverse-parking it and doing tight manoeuvres - the turning circle is much bigger than the 1.2 and it can be irritating

Back