"100" car pile up

Currently reading:
"100" car pile up

Someone's insurer is gonna get a nice bill....

I doubt a single person will be found liable.

I wonder how many without lights on have switched off any fitted DRLs also :chin:

And people say DRLs shouldn't be mandatory, people can decide for themself when lights should be on.....well obviously not.

I wonder how many without lights on have switched off any fitted DRLs also :chin:

And people say DRLs shouldn't be mandatory, people can decide for themself when lights should be on.....well obviously not.

DRL's are only on the front of the vehicle so would be of no use in this situation. All it would have done would have alerted the driver in front to brace themselves :D

DRL's are only on the front of the vehicle so would be of no use in this situation. All it would have done would have alerted the driver in front to brace themselves :D

True, but if the vehicle spins etc who knows.

My main point is people being so against them as people can operate lights the self, but this is a prime example of proof that people can't.

Looking at the state of the vehicles there are some lucky people out there though.

True, but if the vehicle spins etc who knows.

My main point is people being so against them as people can operate lights the self, but this is a prime example of proof that people can't.

Looking at the state of the vehicles there are some lucky people out there though.

Looks like a nasty crash, just goes to show how much vehicle safety systems have improved if there's only been a small number of non-serious injuries.

@MEP, by the way, I got a reply from the DFT RE: DRLs. They basically back up VOSAs position on them.

"In reply to your question is it compulsory to have DRLs switched on in normal light driving conditions the answer is no.

However, all vehicles used in the UK must comply with the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 as amended. These regulations do not require the fitting of DRLs so in our view it would not be an offence to switch them off provided this is done post registration. However, owners should be aware that DRLs are intended to be a safety measure and disconnecting or turning them off, may increase the risk of certain types of accidents."

It's bizarre. All new vehicles must have them, but you can switch them off after the cars registered. It almost sounds like the RVLR/IVA was amended to satisfy the EU busibodies, rather than for actual safety reasons !

Wonder how many DIDNT slow down?

Some things like a warrier - big 4x4 pickup - now the size of a pug 206, thats been hit hard
speed or lots of repeat hitting were here

Dash camera's i think would be useless here, i dunno how it'd help much, except proving you were hit from behind thats about it - If it could have seen

Ziggy

My local radio station firstly reported this as an accident - then changed their minds halfway through the day & called it a crash.

People driving full on into thick fog isn't an accident...

Anyone remember the public information films of the 70s?

A pity we don't see more of this sort of thing? (the PiFs, not the crashes!)

My local radio station firstly reported this as an accident - then changed their minds halfway through the day & called it a crash.

People driving full on into thick fog isn't an accident...

Anyone remember the public information films of the 70s?
Motorway Fog (1970) - YouTube

A pity we don't see more of this sort of thing? (the PiFs, not the crashes!)

No commission is an accident, it insinuates that no-one is to blame, which is never normally the case.

On my way into work there were idiots driving and cycling without lights. Visibility was less than twenty five yards in places. I was that concerned once I was at work I text Radio Norfolk and they read it out on air. A couple of hours later the collision was reported in Kent. Spooky. ;-)

Something that bothers me just as much are people who have lights on but have only cleared the condensation from the front and rear windows. They may as well be wearing blinkers. :rolleyes:

I wonder how many were running on side lights, aka parking lights. Lot's of numbskulls round here do that in fog/mist.

Not something that should be condoned...however its the same lights on the back if the car whether or not you have side lights or headlamps on(both of which is more than a car running on drls only) and once its daylight I wouldn't expect having headlamps on in fog to have a huge effect on the view forwards. On a normal two way road in fog yes it helps to have main beams on so people coming the other way but can't see it helping in a motorway situation where theoretically all you have to do is stop behind the car in front.

Back