Tuning 1.9jtd 8v Remapped and Carbon Clean

Currently reading:
Tuning 1.9jtd 8v Remapped and Carbon Clean

So today I took the 1.9 JTD 8v to the local carbon clean and remapping company. It runs on Shell V Power and has a K&N panel filter fitted. As the car has nearly done 130k I wasn't expecting much, so 120bhp on a standard map it was doing well. A good quality map was applied and it hit 146bhp with a increase in torque too. The carbon clean made sure that it now runs smoothly. I am sure that a custom map after some other upgrades will see another 20bhp or more.

Attachments

• fiat dyno.png
    fiat dyno.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 2019-01-23__14.19.41.jpeg
    2019-01-23__14.19.41.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 50
I would have thought that there would have been very little carbon build up if Shell V-Power derv is being run though the motor. Shell GTL (Gas To Liquid) semi synthetic fuel is the best in the market, closely followed by BP Premium juice. I only ever use V-Power in our oil burners, you really can tell the difference between this and other fuels...

To be fair.. my old clonker runs for the most part on the supermarket blends. Sainsbury's usually... and Morrisons occasionally. I find Morrisons marginally less smokey although that was following a period where I had a leaking intake hose that I recently fixed.

I gave the beast a couple of tankfuls of BP Optimax; one before and one during its MOT just in case that made the difference between a pass and a fail.

The Optimax was less smokey than the Sainsbury's gig.. and the engine felt marginally smoother but at 14p a litre more expensive, I'd hope so.. :D Power felt broadly the same... *maybe* Optimax gave the beast a bit more shove.. but if I didn't know what fuel was in it, I would have been hard-pressed to tell.

Mind you, I usually feed the beast a dose of 2-Ethyl Hexyl Nitrate every tank.. so it could be the 2-EHN is boosting the cetane rating of the Sainsbury fuel and diminishing the edge that Optimax might otherwise have. Morrisons in there at the moment has no 2-EHN in it and it does feel marginally less eager. Hmmmm.... :confused:

Ralf S.

I only use about a full tank a month, so the price is not to much of a difference. The car runs quieter so that's a plus for me. I leave the science to people on more money than me.

OK, have a multipla, '05 1.9 JTD, (not the multijet) which I believe is the same engine basically as the Stilo, wondered if it is seriously worth getting a remap?
Engine has done 89K, full service history, gives about 38 round town, and 45ish on a long run, but does tend to be a little 'pedestrian' on the pedal.
(Yes, have cleaned/checked the EGR, and replaced the MAF with a new Bosch one too, with little improvement)
Just wondered if this is normal, or not, and if a remap would suit the vehicle, and be worth the money?
Would be interested to hear thoughts on this guys,

Your mpg sounds a bit low to me.. I can get 53mpg driving like an old lady.. :D and about 50mpg if I ignore the "Average Consumption" setting on the dashboard and drive normally. Does it warm up promptly to halfway on the gauge (i.e. is the thermostat any good)?

Diesels tend to like remaps and if my old beast wasn't approaching moon-shor mileage, I'd probably get it done. But I'd say make sure the map is reversible in case you don't like it and also (if it was me) make sure that the map won't require you to only use 100-cetane fuel, otherwise it'll hurt your wallet an extra Lady whenever you fill up.

Ralf S.

I think that a remap would surprise you, and if you're planning to keep the car for awhile then I would get it done. My car has done just over 125k and it's been revitalised after the remap.

I'm half tempted by the Synergy 1 box;

https://www.tuning-diesels.com/synergy-1

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of it, in terms of ease of fitting and what's it like in use, etc.

I can see you can turn it on and off... but how do you switch between the various settings (1-10)?

I presume I would select settings 8-10 all the time.. :D What do people use the lower settings for? Is "Medium-Medium" (setting 6) the same as "off"?

Where does the beast live, inside the car or under the engine cover?

Do I need the on/off switch or just run the beast permanently "on"? Is the "off" switch necessary so the beast passes MOT emissions tests, for example?

I've emailed the manufacturer the same questions... but any thoughts or ideas in the meantime would be handy.. :)

Ralf S.

As long as i understand the temptation, dont do it its not worth it, it wont get you your promised results as a lot of black boxes just moderates the air temp reading and sometimes maf reading. Better save some chingys and get propper chiptuning then with dyno

The problem is that althoug they all look the same every car ia different and can take different loads make them etc , and btw half of the description of that synergy thing is bs so dont get fooled .
Plus dont forget that restriction is there for reliability ofcourse you can set everything on 100% duty cycle but will it last ?
Ofc it's my personal opinion just have seen more than 200 of various types of tuning boxes and none of them have worked yet :D

Last edited:
Back